CHAPTER ONE

It was early May.

The air was thick and humid. The lingering crisp spring leaves, bustled alongside the curb following a light breeze. The light blue skies were clear, the sun was shining and the clouds were few in between; scattered across the horizon. In conjunction with the sounds of birds chirping from inside of the trees, the scenery was set for a beautiful day.

As Marissa sat on her balcony, she inhaled deeply on the lit marijuana filled cigar that was being ciphered between her and her best friend, Kikki.

"Oh, this baby won't stop moving! He must be feeling good just like his mommy." Kikki laughed as she took a few tokes. When she didn't get a response, she looked over at Marissa.

What's wrong, Rissa? You haven't been acting like your annoying cheerful self since I got here. What's going on?"

Marissa let out a heavy sigh as she took the cigar back from her. She took a few pulls and thought about what to say.

"I don't know what I am going to do, Kikki. I love Quinn, but I can't keep staying in this marriage and the love isn't returned." she exhaled, blowing a large cloud of smoke from her mouth before passing off the blunt.

"Girl, you and Quinn have been through the trenches together. Y'all been married for what," Kikki paused as she took a deep drag on the cigar and inhaled.

"Six years? And, y'all have those beautiful children together. What makes you want to leave now, so suddenly?"

"I'm just tired, Kikki. I am tired of the other women, I'm tired of the lies and I'm tired of feeling unappreciated. And, I am definitely tired of playing these 'tit for tat' games. It's not who I am but I refuse to keep being his fool." Marissa looked off into the shining sun. As beautiful as it was outside, her spirits were anything but a reflection of the nice weather.

"What do you mean playing for 'tit for tat'? Don't tell me that you, 'Ms. Goodie Two Shoes' cheated on Quinn?" Kikki questioned as she passed the blunt back to Marissa.

"Hell yeah, I cheated on him. It happened a few months ago. I grew tired of being played and wanted to see what it felt like to give him a dose of his own medicine."

"Say what now? Girl, you're lying! Who you done got to pet that kitty-kat?" Kikki teased.

"Do you remember the guy from around here that I was telling you about, the one Catherine had a baby with?

"No!" Kikki gasped.

"Not your neighbor, Rashaan from across the street! Come on, Rissa. Isn't that your homegirl's man?"

"Sometimes," Marissa chortled.

"You are a scandalous ass bitch, yes! Who knew you had it in you," Kikki taunted.

"Shut up, hoe. I learned from the best." Marissa joked.

"Touché, bitch. Touché. Now you know, you have to give me all the details and don't be trying to leave nothing out." Kikki snickered.

Marissa spent the next hour giving Kikki all the fiery details of her brief romance with her next-door neighbor. When she was done, Kikki could only stare at her life-long friend with her mouth agape.

"Girl, how the hell were you able to carry this on for so long without Quinn being the least bit suspicious?" Kikki questioned.

"Chile, please. That negro was too busy running the streets with them nasty ass hood rats like Catherine, to even notice that it had been over six months before I let him touch me."