The Nerd Diaries (On Hold)

Chapter 1 - A Nerdy Start

As the closing credits of Star Wars came on my eyes fluttered open. How much had I missed? Geez. How could I fall asleep in the middle of Star Wars? Oh well. It's not like I haven't seen it a million times before. Oh how I loved my nerdy lifestyle. I switched off the tv and lugged my tired muscles to my design room. A normal person would find the place really cool, but in the comic design world, it was pretty basic.

Walls covered with comic designs, character design, plots, boards, templates, desks covered with everything from pencils to paint and large windows to let in all the natural light.

I looked down at the desk at my latest project. For the past couple of months I, Mackenzie Nicklson, have been designing my own comic book. Last year when I graduated from graphic design school, I decided to become an independent comic designer. I started a website and started selling character designs and a few original print bags, it was actually pretty successful. Fellow nerds had reached out to me and asked for me to design a comic book, and do some collaboration comics, so I did. This was my latest project, Oblivion. The story centered around Oblivion, nerd by day, hero by night. I sat down at the desk and continued sketching the last box.

At some point I fell asleep.

When my phone started buzzing I jolted up right. Oh crap. I smudged the box. I grunted and reached for my phone.

"Hello?" I mumbled into the reciever.

"Miss Nicklson, are your drafts done yet?"

"Uggh, Mr Simons?," suddenly wide awake I responded with more force, "Yes sir, I'll fax them in today."

"Ok Nicklson. I need samples to show to these publishers. Get them in. Bye." And the line went dead.

I threw the phone onto the small sofa in the corner of the room and turned back to my drafts. I had smudged the last square in my sleep. Great, now I needed to fix it. I let out a sigh and got to work. I finished the square within 20 minutes and got up to fax the drafts to Mr Simons. Man was that guy crabby. The fax machine quietly beeped, I knew it would take a while so I wondered around the room. Fixing up paints, straightening hanging artwork and cleaning up stray wrappers.

I checked the neon flashing clock on the wall, 10:30. I trudged back over to the fax machine. It had all been sent to Mr Simons, so I collected the sheets and placed them back on the desk and went to take a shower.

All refreshed and dressed I walked back to my design room. The stack of comics was gone. I scanned the room. When I came up empty-handed I started to hyperventilate. Where are they? Where had they gone? I looked under every paper, in every nook and cranny. Nothing. I stormed out of the room and did a full search. Still empty-handed I walked back to the design room. Half way through the doorframe I stopped mid step, the stack of paper was sitting in the middle of the room. I walked over to it and the paper started glowing. Taken aback I stumbled a few steps back. What was going on? Heart pounding, I walked back to the paper and my vision went black. When my vision was restored I looked around. I was in the middle of a park. It was Hembridge Park. The park I created in my comic book....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys. So new story. New characters. Please vote, and comment if you have any suggestions. I decided to make this a short chapter, because its the first one and I didn't want to overwhelm you. Ok, fine I was just lazy. Whatever. Anyway. Please Vote and comment.

Thanks guys

~mickey <3