Prologue

My name is Macy Jones and I am 15 years old. I live with my mom but she is only at home from 10:00 pm- 6:00 am. I have walked to school and back since I was in 6th grade. I never had a problem and I enjoyed walking to school because no one was yelling at me. But on the way back from my 1st day of high school, I noticed something different about the sidewalks. Every crack was covered with orange tape. I always stepped over them scared of what would happen if I touched the tape. On the 5th day of school I was walking home and I thought I saw a shadow. I told my mom and she told me I was just saying it for attention. My mom is an alcoholic if you didn't know. She always calls me a liar even though I have never told a lie in my life. I was walking home from school about a week or two after I noticed the shadow and I heard footsteps so i turned around. No one was there. But, by the time I turned around, the shadow was in front of me yelling boo and then cackling as it reached for me. I ran as fast as I could home. I locked all the doors and windows before running into my closet. That was the scariest day of my life. But I got used to it after a couple of times and I was prepared to run away. It was always scary but I know the mysterious man will never actually touch me or hurt me.