Coming out? Easy.

"Mom! I'm so not ready to have this conversation with you!"

"Just tell me what it's about. We don't have to talk about it."

"If I tell you what it's about we're going to talk about it!"

"No, we won't now what is it?!"

"What do you think it is Mom?"

"Well from reading those texts I can only assume that you're gay..."

-------------------------

My mother and I had an amazing relationship. I told her everything that ever happened to me. Sure I got in trouble for the typical kid things but other than that it was perfect.

I only had one secret from my mom. It was a pretty big one too. I'm bisexual.

My family is the most Christian family on the face of the earth. So naturally, I was definitely hesitant to tell my mother. It wasn't that I didn't think she'd be accepting it's just that I didn't want her to be judgmental and especially tell the rest of my family.

We were at a restaurant down the street from my house. It was just like any normal night. And I was checking a text message on my phone. And after I replied my mom said hand me your phone. I did so willingly not thinking about the earlier conversation I had with some of my best friends. ABOUT A GUY I LIKED!!!!

After a couple minutes of her looking through my phone she looked up at me and said, "What's this 'I liked him so much and he just screwed me over'?"

I brushed it off and came up with the best lie I could.

"Oh that was my friend texting them during biology this morning," I said assuming she would just believe me.

"No it's not these texts were sent since you've been home."

"Don't worry about it Mom, it's nothing."

"It's not nothing!" She said a little more stern.

"Trust me Mom it's nothing to worry about." I pleaded, not even remotely ready to have this conversation.

After another five minutes arguing in this same way it was time for us to leave. We got up and walked to the car.

When we got in my mom said, "Okay so what were those texts about?"

"Nothing," I said "Just drop it."

"No! Tell me what's going on!"

"Mom! I'm so not ready to have this conversation with you!"

"Just tell me what it's about. We don't have to talk about it."

"If I tell you what it's about we're going to talk about it!"

"No, we won't now what is it?!"

"What do you think it is Mom?"

"Well from reading those texts I can only assume that you're gay..."

"Yeah... I am"

"Okay now was that so hard?" My Mom said shocking me.

"No, I just thought that you were going to be judgmental and not be okay with it" I said a little relieved.

"Well bottom line is, you're my son and I love you no matter what and want you to be happy." She said in the loving voice that I love to hear my mother speak in.

"Thank you Mom, promise you won't tell any of our family?" I questioned sounding a little too worried, "I want to deal with them myself."

"Promise."