THE HOSTAGE SERIES BOOK ONE

NIGHT FLOWER

BOOK ONE OF THE HOSTAGE SERIES

NIGHTSONG

Her eyes fluttered open and Jay looked around herself, she didn't know where she was, or what she was. Her mind was confused at the sounds that screamed in her ears. Her breath quickened as smells and fragrances floated to her highly sensitive senses.

Jay remembered one word, Earth. The land of mortals, which she wasn't.

She shook her head and shakily stood up. Her legs quaked under her and the unknown pressure of the world and she took one hesitant step forward. A huge metal beast flew past her vision and she fell over in shock.

She groaned as she hit the ground and her fragile skin scraped against the hard concrete.

"Oh hell." Jay grumbled then shut her mouth as someone past the alleyway.

"You okay?" He asked, the man wore a business suit.

"Um... no. Where am I?" Jay asked and was shocked at how fragile she sounded. She looked down at herself and breathed a sigh of relief; she was wearing some of those coats or whatever's too.

The man came into the alley and looked at her, "You had a fall!" He leaned forwards and offered his hand to help her up, which she took and she was amazed at the difference in texture, his were rough and Jays were satin soft.

"Thank you." She mumbled.

"No problem." He then helped her out onto the street where she almost fell again at the cars.

"Um.. what are they?" Jay asked.

The man looked her up and down, "You are not from around here?"

"Err. No, I don't think so. I don't remember much, my head hurts." Jay said and she stroked her hands through her hair which was a light brown with gold streaks.

"You might have a hangover." The man said, "My name is Harry."

"Jay Nightsong. That's all I remember, and that this is Earth." Jay said and waved her hand at everything around her.

"Nowhere else you could be from. Come on, I will take you to the police, maybe they could help." Harry said.

They started to walk when Jay's hand went automatically to her neck and she felt a hard spot there, looking down she found a beautiful stone there, shaped in wings.

"What stone is this?" She asked Harry.

He looked back and looked at the stone, "A black opal, very rare and beautiful. To shape it like that, almost impossible."

"But not impossible." Jay said quickly.

Harry raised his eyebrows at that, "No not impossible."

Jay nodded and they kept walking, surrounded by concrete Jay was frightened.

The buildings around her were huge and tall, people walking in and out of them and others shoving past Harry, but not her. Women looked at her with admiration and Jay wondered why.

Then she saw a hint of gold in all the browns, red's and blacks and she tried to see who it was but the man wasn't there anymore.

Her eyebrows crinkled in confusion as they neared a huge squat building with "Police" on the top in blue and white.

"Police station?" Jay asked.

Harry nodded and walked straight in but Jay stopped in shock, "Harry?" Her voice was weak.

He walked back out and his face was surprised, "What's wrong Jay?"

"Big building." Jay said simply and Harry laughed.