Chapter 1

Bonnie Anderson ate her peanut butter sandwich shaped like hearts with gusto. After a long morning of playing it was nice to relax in the cushioned kitchen chair swinging her legs and thinking up a new story to play out with her new toys. She was truly surprised when the son of her mommy's friend stopped by and gave her a bunch of his old toys. Andy Davis told the four year old he was going off to college and he needed someone special to take care of his toys. Bonnie was pleased and proud out of all the children in the world he chose her. Obviously, because she was chosen for this special mission, she had to come up with some really good stories for her new toys.

Bonnie already owned some pretty nice toys. She had a stuffed hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants, a triceratops named Trixi, a unicorn named Buttercup, three stuffed peas in a zipper pod, a plastic clown named Chuckles, a stuffed doll from a Japanese movie her aunt loved and Dolly. Dolly was Bonnie's favorite. Her aunt had made Dolly right before her very eyes.

One night when Bonnie was almost three her aunt came to babysit. Bonnie was very curious at the large plastic boxes her aunt had brought with her that night and announced they were going to do something different. Usually they spent an hour or so playing with modeling dough or watching a movie before bath time and then story time before bed. This time her aunt sat Bonnie on one end of the couch and she sat on the other.

Taking several pieces of felt out of the box Bonnie's aunt began to cut out pieces of the felt in odd shapes. As she cut her aunt asked her questions. "If you could change your hair color, what would it be?"

Bonnie cocked her head to the side in wonder and confusion.

"Oh come on," her aunt teased. "Pick a color."

"Purple!" Cried Bonnie getting up on her knees to better see.

"Purple it is then."

"What are you doin'?" Bonnie asked scooching closer.

"Careful," her aunt warned as she maneuvered a pair of scissors over a piece of purple felt. Soon several pieces of felt were stacked neatly in her lap. Once she was done Bonnie's aunt put the useless felt in a trash bag and the reusable parts back in the box. She then opened another box and pulled out several spools of thread and a needle. "This is very sharp and I could prick my finger or yours."

Bonnie gasped. Her aunt continued to work humming as she did so. Very soon the random pieces of felt began resembling something. The doll had purple hair and a little orange dress with yellow spots. Bonnie was amazed as she watched her aunt carefully sew a pair of eyebrows and a mouth onto the face. Then she took a marker and colored a spot on a stained cloth. Gently she made a light blush on the dolls cheeks. When that was done she opened yet another box.

This box had a tray of mismatched buttons. Bonnie's allowed her to pick out three; a round yellow button, a gold button and a large round yellow button. After sewing the buttons on the front of the dress her aunt stuffed the doll with stuffing that was hidden under the tray and sewed the doll all up.

"How does she look?" Her aunt teased wagging the doll in front of Bonnie.

"She doesn't have any eyes!"

"Oh my goodness!" She cried in mock surprise. The final box was opened revealing a nice glue gun and packs of googly eyes. They then moved into the kitchen where Bonnie's aunt carefully glued a pair of eyes onto the rag doll.

"So what are you going to name her?" Asked Bonnie's aunt as she worked.

"Hmm..." Bonnie thought for a long time. "Dolly." She said.

Her aunt raised an eyebrow but did not question her niece. "Dolly it is then and she is all done. Now we only have to wait for the glue to dry and cool."