Overture

~ All I heard was music as I danced on the stage imagining my mother watching me like I always did. The bright white stage lights on me as I did my solo. The scene ended, lights beginning to dim. As I went for the next part, a huge crash sounded out. I saw nothing but black. I heard the music start once more but slowly turned to sirens. ~

Gasping awake, I see a room substantially covered in white. Bright fluorescent lights that are striking the room. Hospital is the only thing I can think of as I look around the tiny room. All I can remember is performing and the rest of the moments a blur.

"What the heck happened?" I mumble to myself trying to push some of my hair away from my face. Something happened to my right arm, as it hurts to move it. The door suddenly swings open, presenting a man with a clipboard that he frowns at a little.

"I see you're awake now." He states offering a small smile. I nod back still unsure about what happened.

"You took quite the tumble, sprained your left ankle and broke your right arm, as well as hit your head pretty hard."

"What happened?" I ask slowly, with a dry, raspy voice I can't recognize.

"I was hoping you could tell me that. No one else saw you fall until it was time for the curtain to open again, and when it did you were on the stage floor, bleeding and your body contorted. My eyes widen at the sudden information I had gotten hurt while dancing, the one thing I loved most in this world. Why can't I remember what happened to me? Why me? With that, my mind goes into a frenzy as I start trying to push myself out of bed.

"Whoa, what do you think you are doing? You have been out for three days; you won't be able to stand." Says the man, as he pushes me softly back down on the bed to lay.

"I need to get back home; you can't keep me here against my will," I state with bitterness laced in my voice.

"We can because your father gave us permission, he has visited you twice already," he tells me while bringing over a glass of water. He extends his hand to me offering the glass to me, which I swipe away to drink the water greedily. Placing it down on the side table I recoil into my thoughts.

I think this is what they call nightmares. I'm not so sure though I've never really dreamt in my sleep before it feels real. I can't dance anymore...

My world seems to be crashing down around me. I feel dizzy, and everything is fading. I blink rapidly as the fingers snap in front of my face. Looking up to the nurse with wide eyes, this doesn't feel right. If I can't dance my life is over. My breathing gets heavy and too fast for me to get air into my lungs. Somebody's words seem far away but very panicked.

She's having a panic attack!

I hear people and things shuffling but can only see the nurse's face, a look of worry makes his face wrinkle in the forehead and around his eyes.

Try to focus on something! Breathe!

The panicked voice says. His lips are moving, is he the one talking? I can't tell if we're the only ones in the room or not, but I know that if someone else were trying to calm me down, it wouldn't work as well as he does it.

My breathing slows to a steady pace, and my vision no longer blurs.

"There you go, just breathe." He says.

"I have to dance... I have to." I whisper with a sad sounding determination, staring into his eyes.

"You have to heal; you got hurt." He states while trying to hide a cringe in his facial expressions.

"but I have to da...." I try to get out, but my voice cracks as I start sobbing. I have to; I can't not dance. Tears pour down my cheeks as I think of how much time I'll lose with the injury. A hand comes in view and cups my face wiping away my salty tears from my left cheek.

"It'll be ok. Your family is here to see you as well. I'll get you some tissues and help you to the bathroom so you can get cleaned up to see them. Ok?" He flashes a sickly sweet smile that makes me feel like nothings wrong.

Going to the door, he slips into the hallway after calming me down. I take the time to look at the room I'm in. A few flower vases litter the tables, with teddy bears and stuffed animals next to them. A fuzzy light blue blanket sits on the end of the bed. The walls are off-white, and there's white tiling. A standard hospital room. The view from the window is of the city and the park across the street.

The door opens once again but not to a strangers face but to my father's. He wears a small grin and a look of relief.

"I'm glad you're finally up kiddo." He says as he walks to the side of the bed my sister and stepmother in tow. My sister wears a huge grin as she see's me and my stepmother wears her small natural smile.

"We're glad you're ok." My stepmother, Margo states. I smile at her warmly.

"Well it's not exactly what I planned on doing, but it's better than some other stuff," I say as I chuckle slightly.

"Well, I'm just glad that you're okay, big sis" my sister states while nodding her head slightly.

My stepmother and my father have been married for 12 years, they got married when I was 11 and had my half-sister Phoebe two years after. I lived with my mother during the summer and spent the school year with my father and new family. I was always a little closer to my mother though, she was my role model. I stopped going to live with her when I was starting college, her health was beginning to decline more, and she moves to a place where she could receive help. I love my family though and looked after my sister and helped Margo around when things got to be too much. I don't know how I would have ended up if I didn't have the family I have now, but I'd hope it wouldn't be in a hospital like I was stuck in right now.