The Death of Innocence (NOT FINISHED)(STRICTLY PREVIEW)

The body was sickening enough, but Jake Anderson would never know how the guys at the morgue, and those who searched the corpses could handle it. Being surrounded by death. It would have driven him insane that's for sure. He quickly set to his job, 'let them do theirs' he told himself. He needed clues, something to work on, anything. He had had enough death and destruction to last a lifetime, a veteran from the ETO, then once Germany was defeated he was transferred to the Pacific war. Now, he was investigating murders, however he was "the best on the force," and "if anyone can solve any case," it was him. His search for any leads turn cold, none of the offices had anything on the perp. 'Damn it all to hell" he told himself. He walked out of the alley, and lit a cigarette. As he was about to take a drag a person approached, he asked coolly " Can I help you with something?" He never even turned to see the figure. He didn't need to. 

"Uh..Uh...Krimley needs to see you." Krimley was the chief of police. 'What would he want this time?' he wondered. 

Jake was tired, just tired, not the kind that you get from physical exhaustion, but the kind of continued blows to the mind, the kind that infects the whole body after infecting the mind. Despite this he turned to go and walk to his car. "Wish this day was over," he mumbled under his breath. 

   What Krimley wanted was simple. An update on any leads. The answer was even simpler. Nothing, none, zilch, jack squat. The thing that Jake feared even more than death, was cold cases, it meant hours spent overtime, precious sleep lost, and investigating leads that often led nowhere. But if he didn't do it, who would? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   For Robert Marow, another