Don't get too close

"I'm scared" my suddenly gone puffy eyes narrowed in pain as my breath was getting faster and heavier. Silent sobs of mine cursed deep into the darkness of the room and the seemingly endless flow of tears streamed down my already wet cheeks and into my mouth. Devastated, I quickly thought myself out of happiness. What good did thinking ever do for me?

Without making a sound, he ripped off the bottom of my tear-staned blouse and covered my wrist with it to stop the bleeding.

I had no idea where everyone else has gone. It seemed to me that they had escaped as there was no sign of a living heartbeat in this part of the house. We tarried in the kitchen, or should I say something that used to be a kitchen before the doors were knocked down and all the windows smashed to the inside. Only a few hours ago the place was so vibrant - loud music, red cups, all hands in the air. Now smashed glass was everywhere and the place suddenly looked so cold and empty. 

At the bottom of my broken heart crying in distraught I hoped so badly we were alone. 

Crouched down against the wall, he was looking out for any sign of danger. The worst things ran through my head right now and I knew I couldn't blame anyone else. My histerical sniffling followed by a handful of tears was quietned down by his fingertip brushing the top of his lips. I knew it was a sign. When he actually let himsleft turn to face me, his light brown, thoughtful eyes filled with guilt and I didn't know why. I stared back at him, searching for reasurance but quickly turned myself away in dissapointment. My pale cheeks immediately gained color from the cold, but I didn't complain. Maybe it wasn't even the cold, but I feared the thought of maybe feeling something more for a guy I only just met, in a situation like this. 

Without turning my face, I looked around the long, half empty room. I don't know how long it's been since the sun came down, I don't know how long we've been trapped here for. 

"I'll get you out of this" he promised but his words ran through my head without meaning and for some reason I just couldn't stay focused "but you've gotta trust me"

He gently ran his thumb across the side of my face, wiping the tears away but I remained still. I felt absent and I had no idea what expression was on my face. I could feel his living heartbeat, the pulse in his wrist so intense against the cold skin of my face but his words were just a humming sound in the background behind everything that went on that night. 

"Lizzie" I finally heard as I snapped out of it "can you trust me?"

I couldn't reply. I didn't know him, I didn't know what his intentions were and my life right now was depending on him - it was frustrating. Then a weird feeling came along that he understood.

I didn't know how he did it. Act like he didn't feel anything, so calm when I was so out of place. I just couldn't get my head around it and it seemed like a reason for concern to me. I bit my lower lip, harshly and just as I heard a loud knock the blood flowed right down my chin. I froze in fear. 

I turned my eyes to Justin in horror but he stayed calm, trying to soothe me. And then the steps came along, louder and louder - closer and closer. I was terrified, consumed by the almost definite idea of the end. 

'This is it' the thought brought pain to my throat 'it's all over'.

I shut my eyes. 

                                                               CHAPTER ONE:

17 missed calls, 6 unread messages. Turning off my brain, I threw myself right on top of the sheets of my unmade bed. Mock Exams, rehearsals, speaches ... there was no way around it. My graduation was planned for June this year. In two months I'd be lazing somewhere on the beach - I don't care where, I just want to get away.