Sitting on the sidelines

My name is Samantha Winter, I have hazel eyes dark long curly hair and full pink lips.  I lived in the country with my foster parents until i was six years old. I remember being locked out of the house watching my foster family eating dinner while i was starving outside in the cold. They would use me as an ash tray scaring me with their cigarette butts. Grabbing me by the legs and arms that would pull my limp body like a rope leaving me printed with their red hand marks.Then shipped off to Queensland where i lived with an alcoholic foster father and a drug addict foster mother. They had children,they weren't hardly as bad as their parents which i was pleasantly surprised that their were some good people left in the world. Their kids moved on to college and i now i live with a new family the Brooke's, their lovely people but i cannot say the same for their twin daughters Rachel and Jess who are the same age as me and older brother Jack.  I walked into the dinning room the table set with plastic plates and silverware sitting on a yellow and white patterned cloth. My eyes wandered to the end of the table with Rachel and Jess sipping threw straws giggling with their wet hair in pink turbans.Marie walked into the room with old cooking mitts on holding a silver tray with a  big roast surrounded by roasted vegetables.

"Sammie, go get your brother please," she said cutting up the roast.

I nodded and walked down the wooden hallway. I passed the framed pictures on the wall of Rachel and Jess and then saw baby Jack in Marie's arms with Jarrod looking over her shoulder. Jarrod was nice but he was always so focused on his work he hardly had any time for Marie and disciplining the kids. As i slammed my fists against the door i could feel the vibration of the music run through me.  I turned the handle, the door swung open. Jack was lying shirt less on the bed smoking weed. I nearly choked on the smell, i walked over to the window and unlatched it swinging it open letting the fresh air spread throughout the room.

"F*ck off!" He said turning up the music.

"Dinner!" i screamed in his ear, i saw his lips move but the music took over.

I pulled up a chair from Jess Who was peering over at Rachel's flip phone.

"Isn't he cute!" She said her grin up to her ears.

"Omg! look at his abs," Jess said almost drooling.

I leaned over in my chair to get a glance at the guy but Rachel shielded the phone with her hand.

"He doesn't date needy," she said glaring at and turned to Jess "I think he is like totally in love with me."

I rolled my eyes slouching into my chair i swallowed the rough meat. They made meaningless conversation which i blocked out but the ringing of silverware clanging echoed in my ears. My mind drifted off to the titanic, the boat hitting the iceberg ripping the side of the boat to shreds. Just over 1500 people died that night and there were 700 survivors. A tragic love story like Romeo and Juliet, star crossed lovers their death marked love would serve a greater good. I come out of my trance, i touched my face to find pumpkin thrown on my chin. I said my thanks  and went to bed. I could hear Marie's voice rise at the girls, i pulled my pillow over my head blocking out the Jacks music and Marie's distressed voice. The night dragged on i couldn't seem to keep my eyes closed for more than an hour or two at the most. I was jealous of those who slept so effortlessly my dreams would usually take over, taking me to the depths of my worst memories. We have our secrets that was something i had learned, each of us have an inner evil which some choose to fight while some let it in, powerless to themselves.