Yousuf AS

The story begins with a dream and ends with its interpretation.

As the sun appeared over the horizon, bathing the earth in its morning glory, Yousuf (AS), son of the Prophet Yaqub (AS) awoke from his sleep, delighted by a pleasant dream he had had. Filled with excitement he ran to his father and related it.

"O my father! Indeed, I saw (in a dream) eleven stars and the sun and the moon, I saw them prostrating [doing Sijda ( سجده) / bowing] in front of me." (Ch 12:4)

His father's face lit up. He foresaw (had a vision)that Yousuf AS would be one of the chosen ones whom the prophecy of his grandfather, Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (pbuh), would be fulfilled, in that his children would keep the light of Ibrahim's house alive and spread Allah's message to mankind.

Therefore, it was narrated that Allah's Messenger Muhammad (pbuh) was asked: "Who is the most honorable amongst the people?" He replied: "The most God-fearing." The people said: "We do not want to ask you about this." He said: "The most honorable person is Yousuf (AS), Allah's prophet, the son of Allah's prophet, the son of the faithful friend of Allah(Abraham)." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

However, Yousuf (AS) father (Yaqub AS) was well aware of the jealousy of Yousuf's brothers, so he warned him against telling his dream to his brothers.

"O my son! Do not relate your vision to your brothers, they arrange a plot against you. indeed, Satan is to man an open enemy! Thus will your Lord choose you and teach you the interpretation of dreams (an other things) and perfect His Favor on you and on the offspring of Jacob, as He perfected it on your fathers, Abraham, and Isaac aforetime! Verily! your Lord is All-Knowing, All-Wise." (Ch 12:5-6)

Joseph heeded his father's warning. He did not tell his brothers what he had seen. It is well known that they hated him so much that it was difficult for him to feel secure telling them what was in his heart and in his dreams.

Joseph was eighteen years old, very handsome and robust, with a gentle temperament. He was respectful, kind and considerate. His brother Benyameen [(بنيامين) Benjamin] was equally pleasant. Both were from one mother, Rachel. Because of their refined qualities, the father loved the two more than his other children, and would not let them out of his sight. To protect them, he kept them busy with work in the house garden.

The scene of Jacob and his son closes. Another opens on Joseph's brothers plotting against him. "Truly, Joseph and his brother (Benjamin) are loved more by our father than we, but we are Usbah (a strong group). Really our father is in a plain error. Kill Joseph or cast him out to some other land, so that the favor of your father may be give to you alone, and after that you will be righteous folk (by intending repentance before committing the sin)."

One from among them said: "Kill not Joseph, but if you must do something, throw him down to the bottom of a well, he will be picked up by some caravan of travelers.">> (Ch 12:8-10)

The pages of the Old Testament say that Joseph told them his dream, whereas the Quran does not say that happened. Had it been so, the brothers would have said so themselves. The Old Testament claims they had lost their own rights by him, and so they would kill him. Indeed Joseph kept his father's order and did not tell his brothers about his vision.

In spite of this, his brothers sat down to conspire against him. One of them asked: "Why does our father love Joseph more than us?"

Another answered: "Perhaps because of his beauty."

A third said: "Joseph and his brother occupied our father's heart."

The first complained: "Our father has gone all astray."