Prologue

Mom.

Dad.

Jenna.

The lights blinded my eyes as our cars collided. I flew back, and the deafening silence took over. I couldn't hear my mom's screams, or my dad's hand blasting his horn at the drunk driver. I couldn't hear my little sister's cry for help. I only felt her head diving for my body.

For a moment, I saw everything in slow motion. The car came directly from the left of us. I watched as it pierced into our car, breaking through the glass and the metal encasing. I saw my father disappear underneath the flames that suddenly burst from the oil tank. The heat was burning like a stove. I could feel myself getting more burnt by the second, but I couldn't move due to my seatbelt. Jenna dove for me, her one concern to protect herself, while I wrapped my arms around her, hoping that it would protect her from the sounds of the crash I could no longer hear.

I was mistaken, however, when I looked down and realized there was a piece of bloody metal penetrating through my leg that had already gone through her tiny body. My head grew light as the pain from it was not showing itself yet.

The world began to turn. I gripped onto her lifeless body, now concerned about my own life. My mom was out like a candle. Her long brown hair was thrashing around with the wind. Her head was back behind the headrest. The car that crashed into us stood still, yet we were moving. I felt dizzy, yet I felt as though I could slow the world's movements with just a touch in the winter air.

I shut my eyes, hoping praying to God that I'd be alright. My assumption was that two of my family members' lives were already taken. Two remained. Please, God, if you're listening-

The car swerved around. It entered through the front, crashing through the headlights. It slammed through my mother's stomach, decapitating her. It pierced through the seat, but it stopped along with the world.

We were no longer moving. The driver in the other car looked alright, though a bit dazed and shocked. I was still breathing, somehow.

I looked around me to the best of my ability. Civilians came out of their cars to witness the attack, both cars were on fire, and I could hear the sirens ringing in the distant.

My eyes became faded. I blinked them twice before the sickening realization took over. I glanced from one person to the next, starting with my mom, decapitated in two, then my dad, who was burnt alive, and finally, Jenna, who had a bloody hole right in the center of her body.

I felt myself gag once, twice, before I retched all over the seat back onto my mother's silky hair.

Everything was becoming too much. Fatigue was taking over, and I fell asleep when I saw the blue and red lights flashing near me.