Unworthy Mistakes

BY: Me and Bobby Bernadez

 My name is Scott Rivers. I have been addicted to drugs for 1 year now. I was kicked out of senior high due to low grades. Since then, I stayed at home.

One day, we had a new neighbor. Later did I know that she is the love of my life? Her name is Emma Waters. She helps me a lot during my times when I had troubles. Even though, Emma was with me, I still used drugs. It has been a habit of mine and I had a lot of trouble getting rid of this addiction but I just couldn’t handle it. I had tried a lot of motives, ways and tips to stop drug addiction, but just could'nt do it.

Emma was always there and she accepted and loved me even with this bad habit of mine. She encourages me to go rehab but I couldn’t afford it. I was kicked out of high school and I don’t have a job so how could I possibly afford rehab, and it would be shameful to borrow money from my parents. After a few days of job hunting, I found a job at a restaurant called “Chicken Deluxe” and they hired me as a dish washer. Despite being kicked out of high school, I had no choice but to accept the job. The pay wasn’t enough but it is enough.

After a few months I have enough money and admitted myself to rehab at Uniondale Rehabilitation Centre just a few hours at home. Every weekend, Emma would visit me and bring me DVD’s and food. Despite the fact that rehab would be helping me, I’m still having a hard time being here, it feels like I’m trapped and it also feels like I’m  in jail but I had to endure all of it until just to stop this addiction of mine.

 As a drug addict it’s hard not to be able to take drugs even if it’s just a single day it is like not being able to drink water for several hours and you are dying of thirst. A few weeks have passed and I was allowed to leave in just two days. My friend Austin Woods who is into the business of selling drugs. He gave me some and I couldn’t afford to refuse so I accept it. I went to the room and took the drugs that Austin just gave me. The nurse caught me and because of that, my stay at the rehab was extended for 2 months. And I have realized what I had done it was such a huge mistake. If I didn’t take those drugs I would not have been in this situation of my life. The nurse called me and told me that I had to pay more since my stay at rehab was extended.

The following day, Emma visited me and I told her about my situation. And I tought she would get mad at me but she didn’t. She understood me and told me that we would get through this together. I asked her why she didn’t leave me. She told me that she loved me and she would always stand by me. I hugged her tightly and said thank you. She told me that she would help me pay my rehab and I felt at ease. Emma had left and I had returned to my room. And realized that having Emma with me all the way through even with me being in this situation is unbelievable.

 A week has passed and today Emma was supposed to visit me but she didn’t. So I returned to my room. After a few hours the nurse called me and said I had a call waiting so I answered the telephone and it was Emma. She explained to me why she couldn’t come and of course I understood it. She took the job of being a call centre agent and she is sleepless and she’s doing it all for me to pay for my rehab. So I’m very thankful of that. Our phone call has ended, and I had gone back and resumed my treatment. Staying here is like princess Fiona in Shrek trapped in a castle. People I love are working for me and I am just here, trapped and I don’t even know what’s going on with my family and of course the love of my life Emma. I felt like I am such a burden to the people around me. I don’t even know why I exist in this world.

 On the next day I was being lectured about drugs and I know all of those drugs are like the peanut butter to my jelly; they are like the butterflies I feel in my belly. Even if drugs are so good, look what it has done to me. I gave Emma a call and told her about my day, she told me that I could do it and that she believes in me. But when she told me that, I felt like there was something wrong, her voice isn’t how it usually is. So I asked her if she is sick. She said it was just her having not much sleep. So I told her not to work too much and that she would get some rest. And do she said yes and we ended the phone call.

 After a few days it was time for Emma to visit me. Emma arrived and she brought blue berry pie with her. We ate the pie together and told her it delicious. She replied I’m glad that you liked it. I noticed she didn’t look well. So I asked her if she was okay, she told me that she was fine, it’s just lack of sleep because of work. I told her that she would get another job that wouldn’t be so hard. She told me that it was the only job with the highest pay and that she’s doing this because she loves me. So I hugged her and said thank you. Emma had left because she still has to work. As she left, I felt worried because I felt that she was sick. So I returned to my room and slept.

The next day I still felt worried about Emma, I thought of calling Emma on the phone but I might just disturb her, she might be at work or sleeping. On the next day there was a speaker who had a lecture. So he went on and on but the thing that struck me was that. “We should not use drugs because our love ones are working hard for us” as soon as I heard that immediately, I thought of Emma. After a few days it was time for Emma to visit me again, Emma arrived and she looked very sick. We talked and her voice and appearance isn’t how she usually is. So I told her not to work hard. We talked about her work and after that Emma left.

 The following week Emma was supposed to visit but she didn’t, I called her but no one answered, on the next week I was able to get out of rehab, I went to Emma’s house but she wasn’t there, Her parents told me that Emma had passed away because of too much work with sleepless and a disease, they said Emma was buried at East Blaze Cemetery, I went there and found her grave. I go near the grave and cried a lot. Emma the love of my life died because of me. I drove a few miles across town and I recognized it was already night and I found a tall building. I went inside and went to the rooftop, I looked at the skies and saw stars twinkling down on me, and I felt that Emma was looking down on me. I wrote a note and held it tightly; I looked down on the building and jump edwhile holding the note tight.

 On the next day there was a police report, it said that a young man named Scott Rivers jumped off a building and was dead holding a note saying “bury me next to my only love named Emma Waters at East Blaze Cemetery.” And so Scott Rivers wish happened. And so now they are both stars looking down on us in the sky.

                                                                               THE END