The Beginning

It was a usual summer day. The sun was shining brightly and chattering of birds could be heard. Kobi, a fair boy, sat on his window, wondering what to do. He really wanted to go out and play, but mother had denied. 

"You'll get rashes in this heat and then you'll be scratching yourself all over like a chimp!"She had said. 

A lot of holiday homework was still not done, but he didn't care! He usually did half of it on the last day of summer vacation, and the remaining half after the reopening of school. After all, no teacher asked for it on the very first day. Even if they did, you could always escape for one day by making an excuse of forgetting it at home! Suddenly Kobi's mother came up in his room. 

"Why do you sit here idly all day? Don't you have anything to do?"She said. 

"I would have had something if you had allowed me to go out and play Ma!"

"Why don't you do your homework for now? You can go out in the evening." She narrowed her eyes on him. 

"I guess! Okay, Mom." 

"That's my boy!" She said, and happily left the room. Kobi pulled out his homework notebooks reluctantly. What a sheer wastage of a nice vacation day!

Two hours had passed. Kobi's mother entered his room again to check on him. She had brought some snacks and juice along with her.

"He must have completed his homework by now." She thought. 

But to her surprise, she found Kobi dozing off in sleep. And he had not written a single page! 

"Oh, my! Kobi! Wake up! Wake up!" She shouted. He opened his eyes. 

"What Ma? Why are you shouting?" He said, still half asleep. 

"I brought you some snacks and juice, but now you won't get them!" 

"Oh! Chocolate biscuits with orange cream!"

 "And you're not getting them!" 

All of the sleep had instantly gone away from his eyes. 

"Mom, please! Pleeeeease!" 

"No! No! No! Not at all! I knew you would be sleeping. Dog's tail never straightens!"

Just as she was speaking, Meera, their maid, shouted from the backyard, 

"Madam! Maya has given birth to a puppy!" 

What a moment of happiness it was for them! Maya had been with them for three years now, and the whole family was very fond of her. It was about time that she gave birth to a puppy. Kobi's mother immediately put the tray on the table and ran outside to watch the newborn.

After gobbling two biscuits in his mouth and putting six of them carefully in his pocket, Kobi ran after his mom. 

As he ran, crunching and biting on the biscuits, Kobi's thoughts went back to the day when they had brought Maya home from the pet store. He was nine years old then. And how happy he was! How he had danced when she climbed up on his hands! He took her on long walks, groomed her every Thursday and Sunday, and played catch with her every evening. Their playtime had reduced when she grew up. But now there would be another little pup to play with! Kobi flushed with excitement. He was motivated enough to run with all his might. 

As he came running towards the backyard, he could hear soft little barks. He started running faster, then took a right turn and reached the backyard. But the pup could not be seen just now. All he could see was his mother and the maid. Beside them laid Maya, looking quite happy. Kobi approached nearer.

"Mom, where is the newborn pup?"He asked. His mother didn't hear him. She looked dumbstruck. 

"Mom, where is the pup?" He asked again, this time shaking his mother's hand. 

"Huh? Oh! Look there!" She pointed her hand towards the bushes, still looking astonished.

 What Kobi saw next was beautiful indeed! A brown colored cute little pup was standing near the bushes. His light brown eyes glistened under the sun and he made soft barks every now and then. 

But what was so astonishing about him that had left Kobi's mother dumbstruck? The answer soon filled the backyard air.

"Hahaha! Look mom! His tail is straight! It really is straight!" 

The cute pup had a short straight tail rising up from his body. If you saw him from the front, his tail could still be seen. That's how much straight it was! Kobi narrowed his eyes on his mother and gave a devilish smile. 

The shining brown color of the pup earned him the name Copper. 

There was no limit on how happy Kobi was. He knew he had found a new partner to play with. But what he didn't know was that a genius had just entered his life, who would go on to become the leader of the top detective and crime fighting agency in history.