Lightning

Life is boring, it's just the way it is. Humans, we eat, sleep, work, act like we enjoy what we're doing but if everyone knew the truth, oh how the world would be different. For me I decided not to take part in pretending, instead I tell the truth and expect the truth. Sadly it's never that simple. People insist on always seeing the good, but if they never look at the bad they become an ignorant fool. I am not different, simply a different face in a crowd full of the same people. I take part in the daily routines, and have never wished for more. Until today, when on the subway I noticed someone, they were smiling. Not at a phone, computer, or any electronic at all, just smiling. It was plain joy, and I had never seen anything like it in my entire life. Where was their phone? Why are they happy? How are they happy? My mind started to wander as I asked myself these questions, then I realized I was getting off the subway and I had started to follow the woman I had seen. For a moment I had thought about stopping, but I dismissed the idea and kept walking. This simple action changed my life, for better, or for worse. I had no idea where I was going, and for once I didn't care. The woman started heading for an old building, that clearly hadn't been used for decades, or so I thought. She turned around before entering through the saggy doorway, to check if someone was following her. I quickly hid behind a telephone pole, hoping she hadn't noticed me. I waited for the click of the doorknob before I came out from behind my hiding place, then slowly headed for the same entrance the woman had. I had reached the rotten wooden door, and I was about to place my hand on the golden knob, when I finally asked myself the question I was dreading. What am I doing?

"What do you think you're doing?" A velvety voice asked from directly behind me. I spun around to find the woman from the subway.

"Joy," I replied then immediately blushed, seeing as I just made myself out to be a fool.

The woman gave me a clear once over with one of her black eyebrows arched up. She had her hands on her hips, placing her weight on only one, like a "popular" from high school.

"How do you know my name? Who do you work for?" Her tone quickly changing from smug to dangerous.

My jaw dropped slightly, how was it possible that of all the emotions I could have said this woman had, I chose joy? There were coincidences, but this was far from one. Why had I chosen to follow her, when I could have just continued the cycle of repetitive life.

"I-I-I'm really sorry, I just, I don't know what I was thinking, I'm sorry for bothering you, I should go," I said without answering her questions.

I could feel the knot in my stomach getting tighter, as I ran back down the alley. When I reached a place I knew I was alone, I rested my back on the brick wall of an apartment building, and my placed my hands on my knees. My breathing was heavy but I didn't care. My mind was rushing with questions, but I just dismissed myself, and looked up at the dark blue-grey sky. It seemed like a storm was coming. As I watched the grey clouds travel from one place to another and I felt raindrops hit my cheek. I guess the storm was already here. Little did I know it wasn't the only storm.