The Lip Virgin and the Playboy

Part 1.

My sister is thirteen and she has kissed four guys in her lifetime. Why am I saying this? Well because I'm going to be eighteen in two months and the closest I got to a boy is a bear hug. I don't see what the difference is--we practically look the same so how come I don't get all the positive attention too?

"Oh my goodness!" my friend, Ruth, said, interrupting my mental rant. I turned my head and watched as her eyes widened, "He's coming this way!"

I looked to her direction and rolled my eyes. Since Ruth hung out with the right people, she always got the drop-dead gorgeous guys with the cute sandy hair and the bright blue eyes that girls dropped like flies for and made complete fools out of themselves when they were in their presence. Guys like Darren Grant--Ruth's boyfriend...who was heading this way.

I guess it was okay when he was still a crush for her but after they started going out it just got annoying how flustered she still got when he heads toward her. I get that it's only been two weeks and she's still getting used to the idea of him as her boyfriend but to me, it's plainly ridiculous. Although, it's easy to see how he got attracted to Ruth.

Unlike me, Ruth prides herself in appearance. Today, her bright red hair is pulled back in a straight high ponytail and her green eyes are outlined in eyeliner which makes them pop out and become lighter. I'm the quiet one of us two so if we didn't know each other since elementary school we'd probably never have talked.

"God, he looks ripped today. How long do you think he worked out?" she said, ogling him from the distance he was still in.

"You don't get muscles by working out for an hour, Ruth--" 

She didn't even hear what I said. By then she was transfixed by the motion of Darren walking over. He gave me a quick nod and gave Ruth a quick kiss on her cheek before putting his shirt over his head. I looked away immediately. To be honest I think Ruth could do much better than Darren, despite his looks he has this reputation that after he sleeps with a girl he dumps them. Frankly, I don't think that's best for her and I'm worried she'll become another example.

"So, Cassandra, do you want a ride?" Ruth turned to Darren, "You don't mind an extra stop, do you babe?"

Darren frowned and shook his head. They both looked toward me for an answer. I wasn't about to say no. Above my head gray clouds started forming in my sky and plus I had to get dinner started and walking home would be at least forty minutes. The answer was pretty obvious. 

"Sure! Thanks," I smiled. 

I followed Darren and Ruth out the school gym door and out the building. Maybe it's because of I never have attention from the opposite sex but I was actually jealous of the way Darren and Ruth look. Ruth had a gigantic grin on her face and her head was resting on Darren's arm since he's so tall she can't actually reach his shoulder. They held each other's hands and the only thing ruining the moment was the stone expression on Darren's face.

Darren went straight into his car, sat down, and waited for Ruth and I to follow suit. As soon as I was seated in the back I stared straight out the window and kept staring there. The school parking lot was nearly empty since school ended two hours ago but since Ruth kept begging me to stay after with her to wait for Darren I stayed back.

Twenty or so minutes later the car stops and Ruth stands up to leave. She looked at Darren with longing eyes which he didn't even notice as he took out his phone, checked it briefly and stuffed it back in his pocket. She kissed him on the cheek,

"See you tomorrow, Darren!" then she turned to me, "Bye Cass, I'll text you."

I waved back at her and Darren took off immediately. I instantly regretted my choice of taking the ride, I don't feel comfortable alone with Darren. Thankfully, my house is the next block away from Ruth's house so I won't spend too much time with him. When he turned the corner to my block I gripped my book-bag straps and pushed the brown hair out my eyes. 

Finally the car strolls gracefully to a stop and I begin to shift over the door closer to my house. "Cassandra, wait a second," came his deep, melodious voice.

"Yes?" I said, stopping like a deer caught in headlights.

He twists around to the back and looks at me with an interesting expression I couldn't point out. Suddenly, he moved forward until I can smell the mint off his breath. My own breath became shaky..what's going on? He lifted his hand up to my hair and stroked his hand through it, his fingers lingered at the tips before he presented to me a white piece of lint.

With a smile he flicked it out the window. "T-thanks," I said smiling weakly. I got out the car with my chest beating quickly. What just happened?