Fanged Love: The Prequel

A Free ebook by Ally Thomas | Copyright 2011-2013 by Ally Thomas | All Rights Reserved 

###

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

This is a work of fiction.  Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real.  Any resemblance to actual events, locals, organizations, or person, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

No part of this story’s content may be used by other authors including concepts, characters’ names and characteristics, plot and etc. for profit, publication, or fan fiction unless with written permission by the author.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No section of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval web site or system without the written permission from the author. The author holds all copyright certificates for this book. They are files with the United States Library of Congress.

###

Chapters 1-4 are included in this section.

Chapter 1 – Grace’s Decision

If I hadn’t been staring out the windows that lined one side of the Golden Skull bar, I don’t think I would have noticed it was a full moon that night.  The bar was situated at the corner of Clayton and Haight in San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury district.  The moon seemed to be hanging just above the street sign at the intersection.  It was a huge moon, a big glowing ball shoving its way in.

I envisioned an angel flying out of it and whisking me off, far away from Nathan and T who sat across from me at the table, whispering constantly to one another or texting on their phones, essentially ignoring me completely.  My staring out the window was the safest option.  Really it was the only non-threatening thing I could think of doing while we waited.  Nathan had a meeting with a woman he had met on the internet.

I kept my back to the other customers in the bar.  Nathan had instructed me that if I so much as looked at anyone, including Max, my former boss, I’d be in big trouble.  He was convinced I’d try to run for help, but I had a plan instead.  Running was no longer possible.  It was over for me.

“If you so much as look at anyone Grace, I’ll kill em all, especially that loud-mouth old hippy friend of yours.”  Nathan’s words ricocheted through my brain again.  Luckily it was Max’s bowling night, so maybe he wasn’t around.  On the other hand, Jeremy, his son was another story.  He had probably been left in charge for a few hours.  Hopefully Jeremy wouldn’t stop by to chat with Nathan or flirt with me?  He thought Nathan was so cool, and he told him often how cute his girlfriend with the flowing red hair was.  I didn’t feel like I was Nathan’s girlfriend anymore.  I felt like I was his slave.

Lately Nathan’s words had been harsh, even hurtful.  Maybe I still felt an ounce of affection towards him despite our chaotic past.  I guess it’s hard to let go of someone, even a person who enjoys victimizing you.  I was becoming numb to his abuse though, slowly but surely numb.

How long ago had it been when we were good friends, then lovers, when we hung out together, just the two of us at the bookstore or library before work, and before he adopted his friends who turned him against me?  It seemed like a lifetime ago.

One night, we had met in a bar, this bar actually.  While attending the San Francisco Art Institute, we both needed a job and thought hanging out in the neighborhood bar would show the owner we were determined to get hired.  Actually the plan had worked.  We had laughed when we discovered we had had the same idea.  I had admired his confidence.  He was so sure of himself, almost to the point of being cocky.  Later it proved to be a trait I found very annoying, especially when his new friends - like T - began stroking his ego.  Nathan wasn’t the same after that.