I'll Be Good

I thought I saw the devil, this morning, looking in the mirror. I realize now that it was just an illusion of my own face. My name is Nurko, and I am a dark angel. 

The expansion of the ebony wings placed between my shoulder blades is like an endless night sky. My crimson eyes burn with pain as they trail over my reflection. My past has tasted bitter for years now, but I never thought it would get worse. I couldn't have imagined that my previous life of thievery, lies, and wicked deals would pale in comparison to the future. 

*******

I left my apartment this morning to be greeted by Nox.

"Hey Nurko. What's up?" Nox yelled from across the glittering courtyard. 

"Nothing too extraordinary, Nox," I responded, shrugging my shoulders as she jumped up to walk alongside me. 

"Where are ya headed?" Nox prodded. I sighed, repressing the urge to push her away from me. 

"I'm going to The Gates, Nox," I said shortly, wishing she would go away. She furrowed her ivory brows before looking up at me again and asking, "Why are you going there?"

"You didn't hear?"

"Clearly not. So why are you going?"

"Ouch. That was harsh, Nox."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Can you just tell me?" I chuckled, amused that I had finally gotten her irritated. 

"We gained a new recruit last night. Axal told me to come in this morning to show him around. I thought you, of all people, would know." She scoffed and pulled a face, looking affronted. I shook my head and let my face dissolve into laughter. 

"Hey! No need to laugh at me..." Nox spoke quietly, shielding her embarrassed face. 

"No need to be offended either," I said through fits of giggles. By that time, we were nearing The Gates. We walked in silence until the massive black gates towered above our heads. I curled my fingers around one of the bars and waited while my prints burned through the lock. Metaphorically speaking. The Gates cannot actually be burned, and I don't have the powers to do this. All dark angels call it The Burning, though; we always have. 

I glanced at Nox when the black metal lacework began to open; she looked nervous. She hardly steps within ten feet of The Gates, though no one knows why. I can't imagine what traumatic experience she'd had inside these gates. I didn't have time to figure it out now, and frankly, I didn't care enough about Nox to ask. 

I strode past the entrance, leaving Nox looking helpless and paralyzed. 

"Stay out or come with me. There is no leaving without me. You know this," I called over my shoulder, pausing to wait for Nox's answer. 

"Y-yes.. I know that N-Nurko. I-I'm coming," Nox stuttered. She stumbled after me and clutched onto my shirt as we walked. I shuddered my wings a little, opening them just enough to shield her shoulders. I felt her take a deep breath against my arm and sink into the darkness of my right wing; she was relaxing. I smirked. Interesting. 

We stepped up to the heavy front doors of the dark grey building I knew as Administration. The people working in here ran the entire community, if you could call this place a community. The people in Administration ran the little space between Heaven and Hell. Not earth, but not celestial or demonic, either. I guess we were a sort of spirit world. 

Anyway, the doors were black metal, much like the gates guarding Administration, but these were solid and several layers thick. Standing in front of them, I knew they would be impossible to open without help. I stared up at the spiraling design of inky coils, waiting for Axal to let us in.