I Know

Han slammed his fist onto the table in frustration.

Chewbacca rumbled something in his direction, asking him what was wrong.

"The princess, Chewie!  She's what's wrong with me."

The wookiee titled his head curiously.

"Fine, I...enjoy her company, okay?  But she's a princess and I'm a smuggler with bounties on my head."

Chewbacca indicated that he should do something special for her.

"It's not that simple.  Sure, I said I loved her, not directly, but mostly."  He put his head in his hands and tugged at his hair.  Then he put his head up.  "What could I get her?  Theoretically speaking."

Chewbacca shrugged and sat in his copilot seat.

Han let his mind wander to every moment he had found her most beautiful, hoping that perhaps he could find something in those memories to inspire an idea.

The first day, on the Death Star, even after she had been foundering around in the garbage.  On Hoth, in that white jacket.  The day when she awarded Luke and Chewie and Han himself with medals, in that beautiful white dress with her hair up...

  The day when she awarded Luke and Chewie and Han himself with medals, in that beautiful white dress with her hair up

Okay, he liked her in white.

But, as a princess, she had more than enough.

And flowers were too common.  She'd probably had so many suitors she couldn't count them on one hand, and they'd probably all given her flowers.

What did he know of gifts?  He was a smuggler!

He put his forehead down on the table in frustration, and cried out when the board turned on, nearly blinding him as a creature flung another away across the board.

Irritated, he switched it off again.

Leia was no ordinary girl, she was a princess, and no ordinary expression would be enough.

Well, she was more than just a princess.

She was almost aggravating, how she wouldn't listen to what he said, but somehow that was endearing.

Han couldn't help it. He was smitten.

He smiled his lopsided grin as he imagined her laugh, so infectious...

Back to the matter at hand.

He had smuggled creatures and spices without batting an eyelid, figuring out on the spur of a moment what to do, but he couldn't buckle down to pick out a present for someone who mattered? He'd never even bought anything for Chewbacca, since neither of them really celebrated birthdays.