Part 1

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, beautiful day, right? Wrong.

"Dakotaaaaaa Dakotaaaaaa!" A voice wailed. I shoved my hand onto the person's face, a sign that they should go. But as they were stubborn they continued to pester me.

"Mommy wouldn't like it if we're were up this late, Dakota"

At that moment I say upright immediately. "True.." I mumbled. I rubbed my eyes and yawned "what time is it though?"

"F-I-VE"

I gasped "Dionara! Please tell me you're joking!" (DEE-oh-nah-rah)

My little sister shook her head "nope, nope!" She crossed her arms right across her chest "no joke. No joke."

I groaned into my pillow. It has been exactly eleven hours of me sleeping. I could feel myself tear up a little. What was step mother going to do to me?

"Let's finish our chores quickly.." I mumbled

"You mean your chores!" Dionara giggled.

"Pffft.. right.." I yawned.

As I jumped off of my bed I swiped a broom and began sweeping the entire cottage.

After thirty minutes of continuous sweeping I then rushed to my next responsibility. Polishing the glass.

***

"Helloooooo?"

"Hnnnnng?" I moaned.

"Dakota!"

"Yeah.. That's me.." I answered. I sat up and found myself sprawled out on the middle of the room. My forehead dripped with blood, the red liquid fell into my eyes as they stung.

I closed my eyes. "What... What happened?"

I rubbed my eyes and my accomplished to wipe away some blood. Dionara came running in with some bandages.

As she bent down I pulled her shirt collar and whisper shouted in her ear "what happened?!"

She teared up and opened her hands, revealing some shattered glass. "What's that gotta do with anything?" I complained.

"Wh-when you were cleaning I bumped into you a-and.. " her voice trailed off as she then began to pick something off my head.

Glass.

"YOU MEAN YOU THREW THIS ON MY HEAD?" I screamed hysterically.

"I-it wasn't on purpose!" She cried, tears splashing everywhere. I felt sorry for her, so I embraced her tightly and smiled. "Shhh.. Hun, it's fine.." I cooed.

She sniffed and nodded. "R-right.." She responded.

As soon as my injury was treated my step mother demanded that I continue cleaning.

And as the obedient child I was, I did as I was told.

It was eleven when I finished cleaning. Just as I was about to lock the door and head to my bedroom to sleep, someone knocks on our door.

I rush over to see who in their right minds would be here. I open the door and find a suspicious looking envelope.

I skim it quickly, and this is what it read:

Dear, Mister and misses Olivarez, we are pleased to inform you that your eldest daughter is eligible to compete in our million dollar prize challenge, we very much support you to allow her to compete, but if you do not wish to do so, please let us know so we can find a replacement
Sincerely yours,
Justice, the receptionist

I read the letter over and over and over.

I was eligible to compete in the million dollar challenge. They only let the smartest, prettiest, and most athletic could join.

I paused.

I was neither of those things!