In the Blink of an Eye

Rome stood on the field, sweat dripping from his hair as he watched his teammate throw the ball. It seemed to come towards him in slow motion, spinning perfectly. He jumped and caught it, tucking it under his arm and running the second he landed. The world came back, the rain poured down, the enemy team that rushed towards him all at once. But he ran as fast as he had ever ran in his life, player after player trying to bring him down but never succeeding. He ran until he heard the screaming from the crowd that could only mean one thing. He had scored the winning touchdown for the last game of the season.

The after party was the biggest party of the year. His parents always let him throw the End of Season party, as long as nobody went upstairs into any of the rooms. They would never bother the teenagers, but would stay upstairs and listen to make sure no students went into any of the rooms.

Rome wrapped his arm around his girlfriend, Chelsea McCarter, the head of the Cheer leading Squad. "It was literally the perfect throw. If Chase hadn't thrown it when and how he did, I swear I never would have been able to make that touchdown." He told the other teenagers modestly. He held up a cup, grinning. "To the best football season ever at Crawford High!" he yelled, the other students cheering and holding up their cups as well. The rest of the party was a blur, telling people how he felt when he made the final few steps, high-fiving people he had never met in his life. A few random kisses with Chelsea, and a lot of dancing. Eventually, everyone left. A few people stayed behind to help clean up, and by the time his parents came down, they were gone.

"Rome, honey, can you come with me? Your father is too busy with work, and I need to get your dress pants from the dry cleaners. They called saying that if we don't get them tonight, they'll throw them away." His mother rolled her eyes. "Anyways, I want you to come and make sure they haven't shrunken."

Rome groaned, getting up from the couch. "It's nearly midnight mom. I doubt they'll still be open."

"Oh they are. I just called and checked. Now c'mon, before I force you." His mother smiled, and he couldn't help but be glad to have such a nice mom. "Okay, since you're forcing me." Rome said sarcastically, grinning and going to the car. "Can I drive? We'll get there faster." he smirked while his mother glared at him. "Okay, but if you go over the speed limit..." She let the threat hang, but Rome knew it was an empty threat. "Thanks mom!" he grinned and got into the drivers seat, waiting until his mom had gotten her seat belt on before backing out of the driveway.

"Do you know where the dry cleaners is?" His mother asked while he turned the music higher. "Nope!" Rome called over the music, grinning. His mom turned it a bit down. "Take the next left and keep going until we pass Walgreen's. It's right next to Food Lion."

"Oh that dry cleaners. Yeah I know where that is." Rome put the music up louder again, singing along with it in the most horrible voice he could pull off. "Rome!" His mother laughed, shoving him slightly. "Stop that and keep your eyes on the road."

"Yes ma'am." He laughed, turning away from his mom and looking back at the road. He was just in time to see a blinding flash of headlights followed by darkness.