Prologue

"Best friends forever!" me and my best friend, Ethan, shouted, before we grabbed each other's hand and jumped into the pool. Bubbles escaped from my mouth as I skimmed the bottom of the pool before looking back up at the surface, where the sunlight was making it shimmer above us.

Quickly, me and Ethan made our way to the surface to see everyone around us, clapping and cheering. I fixed my goggles, that had slightly fallen, and breathed in, holding my breath, before popping back under the water, quickly swimming to the shallow end. Ethan popped up beside me seconds later and we hopped up the stairs, taking a sip from our juice pouches that were on a near-by porch table.

"Ethan! MyKala! Time to come blow out your candles!" my mother called from inside. We both grabbed our towels from the back of the chairs, slightly drying off, and the we raced each other to the door, dropping our towels in the process.

"I win!" I yelled, sticking my tongue out at him.

"Nu uh! Whatever! I totally beat you!" he yelled back, crossing his arms over his chest.

"How about you both win?" Ethan's mom, Mrs. Carmichael, said to us as she carried Ethan's newborn sister, Penelope. We both sighed and nodded in agreement before opening the screen door and walking into the kitchen

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Ethan and MyKala! Happy Birthday to you!" everyone sang, as my mom and Ethan's mom walked out with our cake, setting it on the kitchen table.

I jumped into one chair and Ethan sat in the one next to me as everyone surrounded us. My dad set his hand on my shoulder as Ethan grabbed my hand and then we both closed our eyes before blowing out the candles.

"CHEESECAKE!" we both yelled, as they started cutting. My mom handed us the first couple of pieces and we both got a scoop of whip cream and vanilla ice cream before pushing through everyone and walking out the front door.

I skipped down the steps behind Ethan and we both sat in the middle of the freshly mowed yard yard with our plates in our laps. I took small bites and watched cars drive-by as Ethan devoured his within seconds.

I finished mine after a few minutes and Ethan took both of our plates, going inside to throw them away. He came back out with two balloons, one pink and one green, and handed me the pink one. I tied mine around my wrists, so I wouldn't let it go, and Ethan did the same thing with his.

Ethan sat back down next to me and I laid back, looking up at the sky as Ethan joined me. I kept my balloon arm off to the side so it wouldn't get in the way.

"That looks like a balloon," Ethan said, pointing to one cloud in the sky.

"That one looks like a heart," I said, pointing to another one. We continued to point out more shapes, such as a turtle, car, and cake, and as I was about to point out another one, my dad walked out and told us to come in for presents.

I sat up and pushed myself off the ground, heading towards the door, but Ethan stopped me. I turned,with my balloon floating around wildly by my side as the air started to pick up, and looked at his brown eyes, that were shining in the sunlight.

"Let's make a promise," he said, holding out his pinky before continuing.