Leaving Home

Chapter one

Getting away

"Jesus get your bag, come on we have to hurry!" Madre exclaimed. I grabbed my bag and ran out to the boat. I pushed it into the water and hopped in; Sofia was running. I didn't think anything of it. Then as she got closer, I heard her screaming "Jesus go!" I saw people chasing behind her. I didn't want to leave her she is my mama.

They were getting closer I had to make a choice, and I hade to make it fast. I grabbed the paddle and quickly started at the water. I looked back, they had my mama. It took every fiber in my body not to turn around and go back. I laid down in the boat and cried.

It was a 90 mile trip to Florida from Cuba, I cried half of the way there. The other half I thought of what I would do. I didn't know how I would take care of myself. I'm 16, and English didn't happen to be my best language. I kept thinking how would I communicate with people. By the time I got to Florida I "thought" I knew what I was going to do. I thought that I could get a job, an apartment, and go to school all at the same time. " It will be easy." I said.

I arrived in Key West, Florida after sun down. I didn't know the exact time , because all of the electronics were in the bag with Sofia. I slept in the boat on some dock until morning.

I woke up to the sound of boat motors starting. I grabbed my bag and began walking. My Madre put all the money in my bag. At first I thought she did it because she was crazy. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure she knew something like this would happen. So I took 5 dollars to get something to eat, then I began looking for a job.

I entered a shopping center. People kept looking at me, like I was and animal. I didn't pay any attention to it though. All I was worried about was finding a job. So I started to walk into the outlets and ask if there was a job opening. I asked, and asked, and asked. But no one gave me the time of day; Nor a second glance.

I was a huge basketball fan in Cuba, and as I was walking I saw a little store . It was full of basketball jerseys, and basketballs. I was so intrigued. I walked into it, but I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. I bumped into this beautiful girl.

Now I think I know what all of you are saying... Or thinking. "Oh no here comes the typical love story." But actually it really isn't even like that.

I bumped into her, picked up the papers she dropped, and handed them to her. I was about to introduce myself , but before I could she took off.

The day ended, and I still didn't have a job. I went back to the dock, laid down in the boat and tried to go to sleep. But all I could think about was that girl. I glanced down at myself. I looked terrible. My shoes were busted, my hair was matted, my clothes were dirty... And so was my body. I sat up and counted the money I had in the bag. 2,426 dollars was there. I had clothing in one of my bags as well, but before I started worrying about all of that I had to find a place to live. A place to bathe. How was I going to do this? I had no parent, nor did I have any income. I had to get some sleep I had a big day ahead of me..