Mort et Vie

They traced the frame of their partner's face with one hand, their footsteps synchronizing as they pirouetted, hand in hand. The music and the setting made out everything to be serene and surreal. As if it was just a dream.

Their eyes fixed on each other's. Ones eyes were those of an empty being, lacking life and meaning, dark. The other's, full of life, it was a warm feeling the eyes gave off, light.

The violin strings harmonizing with the harps tune. The piano added more melody and feeling.
The keys on the piano suddenly rang out in dissonance, and the violin screeched. The harp was silent.

And after the abruption, the piano faded back into a song. But then it stopped again, not completely. Stopped, in the way that only one key played. In a certain tempo.
Sounding in unison with the heartbeats of the two dancers.

"Death." One of the two, said.

"Yes, Life?" Death responded.

Life looked down, as the ground beneath the two parted, yet they still held hands. "Why must we be so different?" Life asked.

Death knew the ground couldn't hold up for so long. It was breaking because of them. Everything they touched, anything they looked at, halted in it's path and shrivelled.
Anything Life created. Everything so remarkable. Ethereal. Stunning. Amused and delighted Death. But Death, couldn't appreciate it up close.

The sound of the instruments, or, the only instrument that continued to play, the piano, ceased.
Death smiled faintly, though it was an empty one.

"Farewell." Death waved with one hand, loosening the grip that Life had on their other hand.   

Life refused to let go. Even if eventually they will separate from Death.
Death then glanced at their fingers as they intertwined with Life's fingers.

They took a deep breath. "Life, let go. My only dear friend, I beg of you to release me. We both have duties to attend to."

Life, full of emotion, knew they couldn't persuade Death to stay. So they let go. And watched as Death's portion of the ground and air, filled with darkness.
And Life's side, became extremely bright and beautiful.