one.

I grabbed my backpack and athletics bag, then kissed Murphy goodbye on his furry head. His paws were spread out like eagle wings on my white sheets. A lazy eyelid opened and exposed his hazel brown eyes. I pat his head and turn off my lamp. Then I walk to the front door. I hate leaving Murphy in the morning. 

   "Marie!" I called. "We'll be late for the bus!" I heard her begin to shuffle into the front room. It is seven thirty in the morning. My sister, Marie, walks in with black skinny jeans and a black Twenty One Pilots t-shirt. Her eyeliner is thick and winged. Her hair is long and dirty blonde. She even wears a minimal designed choker.

   "Emo," I comment. She rolls her eyes and pulls out her blue house key. We both step out into the humid morning and I hold the screen door open with my foot while she locks the black front door. When we begin to make our way to the bus stop just up our street; which seems like a thousand miles to me because not only do I have a ten ton backpack on my back, but I am also carrying a ten ton gym bag. Oh, and a very heavy water bottle. 

   "Dakota told me you blocked him the other day because he said Twenty One Pilots sucks," I say.

   "I didn't block him. I just stopped replying." 

   "Oh, okay." 

   I don't know what it is with Marie and her obsession over the band Twenty One Pilots. All she ever talks about is the two band members and everything I, along with the rest of the family, have no interest in. She used to be this obsessed with Harry Potter. Especially one of the evil characters, Draco Malfoy. They used to be the only thing she had to talk about. Now it's just some band I showed her over the summer of 2016. I regret it so much.

   Me and Marie cross the street and meet up with the three second graders who ride our bus. I hand Marie my water bottle because it's really hard getting to a seat in the tiny aisle with a large gym bag and a water bottle flipping around. Marie only has a backpack because she is in fifth grade and still in elementary school. Unfortunately, us eleventh graders need a million things for school. Or, maybe it's just me because I'm still taking athletics and it is required to bring your athletics uniform. God does my bag reek if you go a single day without washing your clothes. 

   When the bus pulls up and I get settled with Marie in the cushioned seats, I pull out my headphones. Everyone on the bus has a lethargic expression on their faces. But their faces no longer have my attention when I press play on my Spotify playlist and look out the window. The clouds seem to follow us.

                                                               ***

   After Marie is dropped off at the elementary school and I step off the big yellow bus, I begin to make my way to the athletics building. But I stop to look over at the field in front of me. Boys play football, girls are in groups with phones in their hands, people are scattered everywhere, chatting. Laughing. Sitting on the sidewalk with earphones plugged in. 

   I only focus on one person. I spot him easily by his maroon jacket and messy dark hair. He is all the way on the other side of the field, by the back doors of the schools cafeteria. My shoulders drop and my athletics bag lowers to the ground. He smiles with his other guy friends. I, in the distance, watch and contemplate all the things that happened between us. All the things I said. All the things I wish I hadn't done. But he said it was fine a couple months ago. My eyebrows draw in close to each other while I contemplate a million things at once.

   "Roslyn," I hear someone say beside me. I snap back to reality and look to my side. My friend, Lacie, stands beside me with confusion. I have to look down to meet her eyes. 

   "Hey," I say, beginning to walk to the athletics building again. Lacie follows. She doesn't question why I was staring into the distance. 

   "How was your spring break?" I ask.

   "Good. How about you?"

   "Same. All I did was binge watch on Netflix. Oh, and it was finally warm enough to go swimming yesterday. It was pretty cool," I said, turning around to see if I can spot him again. I don't. Lacie smiles at me. "Cool," she replies. I force a smile. It's not that I'm sad or anything. I'm just... I don't know. Not in the best mood after seeing him. But not sad. I don't want Lacie to wonder why I'm a little down so I put on an impassive expression.

   I hold open the glass door to the athletics building for her and then head in myself, smelling the familiar smell of the school: kids. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Hey guys, my name is Hailey. I know this was a short chapter but I just wanted to get a beginning written before I go to bed. It's already twelve and a school night! The future chapters will most likely not be so short and will definitely be more detailed. I do have school, so I don't know what my "book writing schedule" will exactly be. Please be patient. 

   (This little book of mine is based on an experience of mine, just spiced up a little bit).

   This isn't really the book I have planned to write, but I enjoy writing and want to be able to expose it to others. I am currently on pause of writing a "for real" book that my aunt will help me self publish.What I mean by "for real" book, is that I will be putting my entire heart and soul into that book. I will continue it when my summer break starts, but for now, I am writing this little book named Roslyn. I hope you enjoy it:)

   Please give feedback;))

                               -H