Beginnings

(In the kingdom of Angi)

A young boy at the age of 13, wondered the hills by the village. This boy was wearing a red shirt, torn slightly, with leather pants and worn down leather boots. He had messy, yellow hair and carried but two items, a ragged piece of cloth that is nicely folded, and a sword too large for him to use. The sword itself wasn't large, the boy was just small. It seemed to be inspired by Easter culture, which most people were not familiar with at the time.

Suddenly, the boy caught a glimpse of a large building made of stone, surrounded by a large wall also made of stone. With an emotionless expression, he started walking towards the gate of the  wall. When he arrived, the gate seemed unguarded, although the town inside was thriving. The town had a 2 buildings, one for a black smith and the other abandoned, a small market, and a well in the center.

"Hey kid!" Yelled a guard from atop the gate.

"Where did you come from? I didn't see you arrive"

"Well I just arrived Mr. In fact, i didn't even notice you till now"

The boy seemed to have a way with words, at least to some point. The guard climbed down and spoke to him.

" Well you seem a bit lost, what's your business here?"

"Well...I guess I'm just trying to find my purpose in life, nobody else seems to know it" Responded the boy.

"Child, your more lost than i thought. Nobody really has a clear purpose. Wizards and fortune tellers may say they can see the future, but you carve you own fate...But your still a bit young to go searching for your future. Why don't you go find your parents, and enjoy being a child while you can?" The guard spoke.

"...right...my parents..."The boy paused for a minute, in thought.

"Anyways, i need to get back to my shift, you shall find your purpose eventually." Stated the guard, before returning to his post at the top of the gate.

The boy slowly started walking towards the well in the center of town. He sat down, putting down the sword in its sheathe  and leaning against the well. He then unfolded the cloth in his hand and took a long, hard look at it. He noticed for the first time that there were two strings, with a pendent to keep the the strings together. Realizing why there were two strings attached to the cloth, he slid them around his neck, to wear it as a cape. The pendent was somewhat heavy, to keep the back of the cape to the back of his neck and prevent accidental choking. After playing around with it, the boy found that the pendent had a button on it to release the strings. The cape itself was littered with rips and holes.

"Hey, Thief!" A women cried.

"Let go of my coin bag!"

The guard looked down from his post, to see a man cloaked in dark green, wrestling a coin bag away from a women.

"You! Stop!"

But the thief manged to tear away the bag, and ran out the gate. Without even thinking, the boy grabbed his sword and ran after the man. The boy was fast, but couldn't quite catch up to the thief, staying out of his reach. They both ran and ran, almost all the way to the village where the so-called peasants lived. As always, the village was full of people wandering the dirt roads. The boy figured if he made it to the village, he'd lose sight of the thief in the crowd. Thinking fast, the boy picked up a rock laying on the path to the village, and threw it.

He was aiming for the head, but the rock hit the man's leg, disabling it and causing him to trip. He dropped the coin bag, and the boy rushed to pick it up.

"Alright alright! you caught me, I'll come quietly" The man in green said.

"No, that won't be necessary. What you need to do, is go and hide."The boy responded

"Wait what?! But you just caught me stealing a coin bag, why do you not want to take me in? you'd be a small and adorable hero" asked the man

"Father always told me, most thieves steal either because they have to, or for a noble cause"

The man chuckled a bit 

"While that is my case, that doesn't excu-"

"it was to provide for you family, wasn't it?" The boy interrupted

The man's expression suddenly changed from a smirk, to a surprised expression

"This coin bag is pretty big. If you didn't need that much, you'd probably steal from the village, not the castle town. And by the looks of it, you can buy a large swine with this many" The boy explained.

"Heh, your pretty sharp kid, you'll get far in this world with a mind like that"

"...Thanks, anyways, consider becoming a hunter if your looking for meat like that, and it'll be just the same"

And with that, the boy marched back to the walls, coin bag in hand.