Where The Showbiz Stops...

So this is the night. Halfway through the series and I must admit, it has been my least favorite series of the three far. But tonight is different. I'm looking forward to tonight's show. Very much. Why? Let me tell you...

*****

I don't think I could be any more proud of my mate right now. The lights come up and his face is revealed. His smile. That smile that comes light up any room. The last few chords of the song that means so much to all of us die out and then it happens. An ear-piercing applause that is led by me as I turn around to the crowd and tell them to get even louder than they are. I didn't think it was possible but they managed to do it.

Spinning around on my heels, my eyes widen even further as I see the man on stage grin equally as wide back at me. Time seems to stand still as I stare up at my friend on stage, who I could not be any more proud of.

The applause all of a sudden becomes nothing more than background noise that you wish you could just drown out, as I lock eyes with him again. I could not be more proud of him tonight. It was a world-class performance, that he delivered in his own unique and individual way. Flashing me his trademark grin along with a cheeky wink, I can't help but smile as I continue to clap as loud as I possibly can in appreciation for his stellar performance. The moment is soon interrupted or rather, ruined as Dermot bounces over from the side of the stage to speak to him. I mean, I know it is his job but, could you just not for once...

*****

"Fucking belter mate! Absolutely amazing!" I say to him as I bounce in through my dressing room and close it behind me. 

Spinning around on his heels, he flashes me that megawatt Oh-Don't-I-Just-Know-It grin that he loves to plaster all over his face. Letting out a big breath, he nods his head before he responds.

"Thanks, buddy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Means so much, Gary" he says as he strolls over and wraps his arms around my shoulders, pulling me in for a cuddle.

The mixed aroma of both sweat and his cologne waft around my nostrils as I lock my hands at the base of his back in the embrace. Nuzzling my nose into the crook of his shoulder, his added height allows us to fit together perfectly during a hug, I breath him a deep breath as the realization that I have my best friend back in my life hits me in the face like a steam train.

Who would have thought that after all we have been through over the years, all of those nasty things that have been by the both of us after the band split, who would have thought that we would be here; backstage at The X Factor, me as head judge and my best friend performing his newest single in front of my eyes for the first time? It's stuff that you just could not write and I am delighted that it has worked out that way. He is my best friend. My best friend is Robbie Williams.

Peeling away from his sweaty torso, I look to my right to make sure that the drinks cabinet is stocked up to my liking, I smirk knowing that my assistant Elisa probably made sure that the X Factor crew had enough booze in here for us so we could rewind after the show. I had told her to mention it that Robbie would share my dressing room with me, just so they could save any extra messing with another dressing room. Ever since we have known each other in a professional sense, we have shared a dressing room. So there would be no point in changing it now, would there?

"Fancy a drink, Bob?" I say to him as I head over in the direction of the drinks cabinet, loosening my tie as I do.

"Yes please, Gary. A nice glass of red would be lovely right now" he says as I reach for the bottle Pinot Noir and two glasses before spinning around on my heels and head over to the sofas on the far side of the room.