Prologue

POV : HEATH

The ICU hustles with frantic nurses rushing patients through the long white corridors, people shedding tears over the loss of a loved one, the speakers blaring a high pitch voice seeking doctors for an emergency, the opening and closing the doors of the operation room, the squeals of the parents after seeing their newborn and finally, the beeping sound in my room which sought to keep me awake.

Over all, the smell plated rectangular board engraved with the words 'PLEASE KEEP SILENCE' seemed ironical to this chaos.

A nurse comes in with a fresh bunch of roses and some supplies. I wait for her to leave the room.

As soon as she does leave, I look under my bed trying to find my phone that my dimwit best friend had hid.

I'm pretty sure that he didn't realise that he was supposed to hide it in some place where it won't be seen by the nurse or my mom, but would be easily reachable by me.

Making me play treasure hunt, that tool.

After searching for ten minutes and finally finding it, I switch it on and the screen blares to life.

Scanning through all the notifications, my eyes search for her name. I sigh with disappointment.

She hadn't texted me- if it wasn't that obvious - and why would she, especially after how our last conversation went down. But some part of me still wished.

I swiftly scanned through our previous conversations, as the memories came rushing onto me without a warning. I felt my eyes drooping and slowly started losing consciousness.

My heart constricted and I felt a shortage of air. Maybe it was because of the regrets or maybe, just maybe it was because of the flowers she grew in my lungs.

Suffocating yet invigorating.

Beep

Isn't it crazy how we can look back a year ago and realise how much everything has changed?

Beep

The amount of people that have left your life and stayed.

Beep

The memories you won't ever forget and the memories you wish you did.

Beepbeep

Everything.

Beepbeep

You want to go back and change some actions, take some words back.

Beepbeepbeep

But would you really want to?

Beepbeepbeepbeep

"Patient is hyperventilating. His heartbeat is increasing at an alarming rate."

"Take him to the ER!"

"Redress his wounds!"

Do you want to change all those happy memories too?
All your inside jokes, random moments, deep conversations..

Beepbeepbeepbeep

"Check his blood count! Quick!"
"Bring me the defibrillator! "
"Doctor Evans is to be reported to the ER immediately."

Our eye contacts, the way her small hands fit perfectly in mine.

" Give him the Xanax! "

The taste of her lips on mine, her scent encircling us.

"On the count of three."

Her voice.

"1"

Her smile.

"2"

Her eyes.

"3"

"Check his heartbeat!"

Do I regret anything? Maybe.
Do I love her? Only time will tell.

"Clear!"

"Increase the Xanax dosage !"

"Stay with us. You can make it."

It's crazy how all of that happened in just one year and for me, because of that one person.

"Breathe, child. Breathe."

"Inhale."

"Exhale."

Breathe.
Inhale.

7 minutes to go.