Chapter 1: Carlotta Chapter 1: Carlotta

She will face the best and worst of both worlds, but belongs to only one;
Holding the power of the sky;
Played by love, she will fall apart;
And within her hands decisions lie;
But with strong power, comes a strong heart;
Danger is yet to come.

Where am I?
The room is cold. The floor is damp. All is dark but an old lantern that hangs in the corner. I seem to be in some...cell. A prison cell. The walls are rusty. But there are no bars, only one steel door on a wall I'm facing. Who am I? Slowly, I stand.
I push the handle. The door will not open. I bang on it so hard my fists hurt, and a cacophony of loud echoes fill the room, suffocating me in noise. No answer.

Walking to the lantern, I  look down at my body. I'm wearing a dress that falls at my knees. At the top, it's a cyan blue that fades into a white. It reminds me of the sky. The sky...why do I feel a tugging at the back of my mind? Why can't I remember anything?
My hands move to my head and I trace my fingers down two perfect fishtail braids that end at my shoulders. Holding my hair up to the light, I see that it is a very light blonde, so light that it's almost white. And then on my neck...it's a string necklace holding a shimmering, green diamond shaped like a circle that glimmers. An Emerald? Beautiful. My fingers have a mind of their own.I lace them around it. Something strange happens.

I feel a jolt through my body. Suddenly there's some sort of  sky blue glowing aura around me. I seem to  lift off the ground and I am now two feet in the air. Im... I'm...flying. Then my body takes over. I have no idea why I'm doing or saying the things I am:
'Carlotta Sky 2nd, PowerBorn, generation 590, Power Of The Sky,'
And  suddenly I'm on the ground again. And there is no glowing aura around me.
What did that all mean? Was that the answer to who I am? Carlotta Sky, that did sound familiar. But is that my name? PowerBorn? And what does the Emerald have to do with it? I wonder...if I touch it, will I found out more? Reluctantly, my fingers find it resting on my collar bone. Nothing.
I feel like a canary that's trapped in a dark cage; no hope, no space and no clue of how to escape.
I sigh. Drooping to the ground, I close my eyes.

                                                                         ***
I wake to the loud creek of the opening steel door. Tired, though I pounce to my feet. A tall man in a black suit with a blood red tie and-maybe I'm imagining it-red eyes? His hair is pitch black and is combed over. Coldly glaring at me with hatred, his shadow looms over me; I shudder.
"Ah, here she is."
I say nothing.
"Could you please tell me your name, child?"
"I...My...I don't know. I can't remember anything."
A sly grin slowly grows upon his face. His eyes look...sinister..
"Sir, um, could you please tell me what I'm doing here?"
His expression darkens as he glances at the Emerald on my neck. He curses quietly to himself.
"That you will find out soon enough. But for now, come with me. The deputy wants to speak with you."
And with that he turned in his heel, expecting me to follow out of the dark room where I lay. And so I did.

The light is blinding. I shield my eyes with my hands as I take in the outside world. It's a big courtyard, the size of 50 football fields, scattered with human sized Venus Fly Traps.
There are crisp patches of grass, as if they'd been burnt in the sun. In the middle is a giant lake of lava! It reminds me tea boiling in a kettle because of the huge bubbles that rise to the surface. Dead trees line the pathways, making it look like the Underworld. The sun hangs in the sky, but it looks  sad. People in black and red uniforms pass, and when they do, they look at me and whisper to each other. Almost as if they're afraid. They looked brainwashed, with their bulging red eyes that aren't natural.
This isn't where I belong. I know that, for sure.
Silently, the man leads me over a tall, rusted bridge over the lake. It is so silent that I jump when he finally speaks as we are nearly at the top: "The boss gave me the job of escorting you everywhere-" he says it like he hates the job- " otherwise I'm the general. I suppose you have loads of questions."
I want to answer, but I don't know what to say. Stupidly, I shrug. "Uh, yeah. Who am I?" He sighs heavily, his eyes fixed forwards.
"The boss will tell you. You work for-uh I mean- with us now. You're powerful in many ways." His voice is icy.

As we reach the top of the bridge, the view has me in awe. Surrounded by snowy mountains, a castle strongly stands. It has blood red spires growing out of every turret, but mostly it is black. Out of the largest spire, a ginormous flag proudly flaps in the wind, with an evil looking serpent with its fangs drooping from the mouth. And bloodshot eyes. Shuddering, I notice a huge rusted gateway that sits on top of the ground with four guards in old fashioned red armour carrying deadly weapons; two a scythe and two a long, glass sword. I gulp. Grinning, the general says, "Welcome to Diablo."