Book One: Chapter 1

I am scared. Terrified. Stiff with fright. Need I put it any other way? The Mending is all that I can think about. It is the key and bane of my existence. Pass, and I live on. Fail, and I die, horribly and painfully along with all the others who don't succeed. Will I live? I have no idea.

 My parents passed, but will their genes pass down to me? Genes. How often we have been drilled that our sole purpose in life is to pass on favorable genes that will benefit the human race. I think there must be more. More depth, more meaning, which brings me to my favorite question: why?

Why are we here? Why do I have to take the test? Why does each test take a whole day to complete? And, why is my test tomorrow?

For thirteen years and 364 days, I have grown, leaned and dreaded this test. From the nursery to the schools where I currently am, I have learned to dread this test. Another question: why is it called The Mending?

Ah, questions. If only they were tonkens, then I could eat and write and read as much as I wanted, because I have an infinite supply of them!

I force my troubled thoughts to lull, at least for the night, and I find myself drifting off into a land of peace, blissfully unaware of what lay ahead of me tomorrow.