drive // m.c

"Drive"
2-27-16•9:19pm
--
All we do is drive.
--
          "Let's go. Now," you say to your best friend. "If we don't go now, I don't if I ever will. I just need to get away."
          He groaned, "Mmm, okay. I'll be over in a minute. I'll text you when I'm here, come outside." With that, you hung up the line. For whatever reasons it was this time, you had to get away for a little bit for time, you'd be W back in the morning. No one would know you were even gone, and you would be a newer, better person.
          You see your phone light up. It read on the home screen,
Bestest friend everr😊🤗:  Come outside.
          "Hey. We're just gonna take a drive through the town, and let me know when you want to head home or if you want me to pull over and you just want to talk, yeah?" You nod as he puts the stick shift in drive, and off into the night you go.
                          --
All we do is think about the feelings that we hide; All we do is sit in silence, waiting for a sign.
--
          Ten minutes into the drive, you finish your small talk and it's dead silence. They say "silent is violent", and this twisted friendship that they had, or once had, has been taking a wild turn lately. You remembered back to a week ago, when your girl best friend asked you, "Sam, you got anyone on your mind and eyes on? You haven't gone on a date lately, and I'm worried. Is this some type of diet?"
          You replied, "Michelle, what the frick? And yes, for your information, I may have someone on my mind. Nothing you have to worry about." You turned your head away from her and focused on eating your salad with a smirk. "There is? Oh! Tell me about it, I know you want to! I'm so excited!" Your girl best friend was beaming.
          "You better promise not to judge me. I know you're going to roll your eyes."
         "No promises, but okay." You knew you had to speak, as much as you didn't exactly want to. It was embarrassing, and you knew there was going to be some type of potential lecture to happen.
          "I-It's M-Michael. He's really nice, smart, funny, and adorable. We have English together." You smiled so wide, from ear to ear, waiting for her approval.
          "How cute! Do I know him? What's his last name?"
          "Clifford." You saw her giggly smile fade from her face into a look of disgust. You knew this was going be bad.
          "Oh my god, you like Michael Clifford? Please tell me it's not the one I'm thinking of. You can't like him, it's not right!"
          "Mich-" she interrupted you and she was surprisingly infuriated.
          "Sam! He's your best friend! You've known him since you were in preschool!"
          "Michelle, you don't think I know that? If I could control it, I wouldn't like him in a million years. I think something's changed. I'm seeing something in him I've never seen before." Michelle nods, rolling her eyes.
          You look back at Michael, who was far too concentrated on the road to notice how lovingly you were looking into his gorgeous green eyes. You've always secretly adored him. You've always secretly hoped he felt the same way you do about him. You grin to yourself, enjoying this almost-uncomfortable quiet, which tremendously contrasted with your usual rowdy behavior. And then an idea pops into your mind.
          What if, this whole driving idea was a trick? Maybe he does feel the same, did he just come up with an excuse to be with me? What if he tried to piss me off all day with little stupid remarks from his friends, knowing that I can never stay mad at him? Is this supposed to be romantic? If so, when will he make the damn move? I'm about to fall asleep, and I can't wait all day.
--
Sick and full of pride, all we do is drive.
--
          But, in silence you sit. All he does is drive, all throughout the night. You don't talk about anything legitimate, you wear a mask to hide your lingering feelings inside. When the night was over, he gave you a meaningless, or what you thought was meaningless, peck on the cheek and a mumbles a 'good night'.
          Was that the sign? How do we go forward? Was that friendly, or was that his "move"?
          He smiles going back to the car. He always knew how to help you at times like this. All you had told him to drive, and just driving he did.