cabin 3.0

in which y/n is having nothing to do with the boy in her bed

inspired by inthepants' Cabin Three

...

I hate summer.

now I know some people would think I'm crazy, but in reality, I'm not. I never do anything productive during the summer; normally I sit on the couch at my parent's house and watch tv. all my problems would be solved if they would let me stay at university, instead of with them. all my friends are there, having fun and going to parties without me.

to make up for my laziness, my parents got me a summer job. I was to be a camp counselor at our local adventure camp for middle schoolers. my parents had sent me the letter of acceptance they had received, after submitting an application without my knowledge. I could probably sue them for forgery, but they would probably win. I just turned twenty last month, technically I was still a minor.

so after the drive home for university, I spent one night at my childhood home. the next morning my parents were shipping me off to the humid jungle where I would be spending each week with a different group of girls.

my dad dropped me off at the office building at 6:30 on a Saturday morning at the end of May. the campers wouldn't be arriving until Monday, but first, the leaders had to teach me what to do.

I grabbed my duffel out of my dad's trunk and waved as he drove off down the long dirt road that led to the camp, three miles from the nearest seven-eleven. I threw my duffel over my shoulder and walked up to the building just as the sun was starting to peak over the tops of the trees.

inside the office building, I found a lady sitting behind an aluminum desk. she was chewing her gum rather loudly attempting to keep herself awake.

"Hi," I said. "I'm here for the summer as a camp counselor...?"

I wasn't sure what to do. the lady stared at me for a few long moments with her eyes half-closed.

"find ya name on the papa' 'ere," she talked with a slight Jersey accent. she pointed to the paper and looked at me. "you'll be stayin' in a cabin with other counselors for two nights 'fore the campers get 'ere. alright?"

I nodded and looked down at the paper. I would be staying in cabin 3 for the next two nights.

I looked back at the lady behind the desk and decided I wouldn't be getting any more information out of her. I would find my own way around the camp. I walked out of the buildings and walked along a path to the right of the building. after I had walked for about five minutes, I came to a fork in the trail. thankfully, the trails had been clearly marked, pointing me in the directions towards the cabins.

cabin 3 was the cabin farthest back in my "cabin cluster." to get to it, I had to walk down a short stone path and the cabin itself couldn't be seen from the main trail. it had taken me a few minutes to find it.

when I got inside, the first thing I noticed was one of my roommates. he was sprawled across two of the three beds pushed together at the back of the cabin. I couldn't believe that one human being could take up so much space.

"excuse me," I dropped my duffel on the only empty bed. "do you really need all three beds?"

he finally seemed to notice I was in the room. he sat up and pushed his curly hair away from his face. the first thing I noticed was his physique. he was tall and broad, which would explain why he was spanning two twin beds. his hands were large and his eyes were green.

"Jesus. someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," he smirked as he talked in a low, raspy tone.

"It was probably the side you were sleeping on, then."