One: Memory's Crannies

Ib stood in front of a painting. The lights flickered and the familiar music of the violin flooded through her ears.

For a few seconds, she was still. She couldn't remember what she was doing. Shifting her feet on the cold marble floor, she turned to look at the painting behind her. It was messily splashed with colors, seemingly abstract.

"A ??? World," she read to herself. She did not know that word...

Remember, don't get lost...

Somehow, these words that echoed through her head brought on a sense of urgency. She turned and looked at the painting behind her one last time, and ran.

Through the corridors, through the rooms. For every step she took, the more the white rooms disturbed her, especially with the contradiction of the colorful paintings and sculptures.

As a familiar sight came to view, she stopped.

A tall rose sculpture stood in front of her. It looked just like any other artwork in the gallery, but the red rose made her feel a sense of both fear and safety... And yet...

"When I see this sculpture, I feel somehow sorrowful... I wonder why?"

In front of her, the tall boy with a coat torn at the hems turned his head slightly as he uttered these words and gave Ib a small smile.

"Do I know you? You seem familiar..." He said, brushing his cloudy grey hair away from his face.

There was no mistaking it. That familiar smile, Ib had seen it before. But where? She couldn't tell.

"I mean, I don't know you at all... But somehow...it's odd."

"..."

"Have we perhaps met somewhere before?" The boy scratched his head awkwardly, "I'm sorry...well, bye..."

As he turned his back, Ib's mind was racing. She was sure she had seen him before, if only she had something... Anything to prove it!

The boy turned.

"Wait!"

Feeling a small tug from behind, the boy turned around to meet the little girl's frantic gaze. Ib's hand opened slowly, revealing a small, yellow candy.

"G...Garry?"

"Let's go together."

"Did you have a nightmare? Have this candy."

"Take my hand, let's jump."

Yes, she remembered. It was him who helped her out...out of that world. Garry. Garry. Garry.

"Can I help you?"

Ib froze. His reaction was not what she expected, in fact, he looked more shocked than in thought.

"Do you know me?"

"Garry, do you remember me?"

The boy looked around the room then back at Ib, confused.

"Who are y..."

Ib cut him off by bringing the candy up to his eyes. With a bit of hesitation, the boy reached out and took it. At this point, he found it hard to smile at the much younger girl who somehow, knew his name and offered him a lemon drop.

Ib kept her eyes on Garry as he popped it into his mouth.

"Sweet."

That was all Garry could say, as he gave Ib an awkward pat on her head.

"I'm Ib,"she managed a smile.

"That's a cute name."

He didn't know the little girl in front of him was expecting much more.

Ib couldn't say anything else, as something was caught in her throat. She turned away from Garry and headed towards her parents, who were calling for her.

She could sense that Gary wanted to say something, but she did not stop walking until she saw her parents, and buried her face in their hugs.