Chapter 1 - Where am I?

It was silent at first. Nothing but cold and emptiness. But then it all was torn away like wallpaper from a wall as I heard screaming echoing through the halls. Where the hell am I? I thought. I look around the room I'm in. If we are being realistic here, I wouldn't call this a room. It was more of a cell. Yes of  course! I'm in a cell!
     The cold metal cot I lay on that has been pulled down from the wall to my right, was covered in nothing more than a limp mattress filled with old newspapers. An old torn up blanket covered my pale body. I tore it off of me to expose my body. Nothing. No clothes. Nothing at all. Just one long, deep cut that reached from my chest down to my bladder.
     Bruises covered my wrists and surrounded the swollen area around the cut. The cut itself was stitched up with basic sewing thread, and was still gushing the red liquid that keeps me alive. I felt nothing but pain.
     I returned my attention to the screaming down the hall. As I stood from my bed and looked out the bars that separated me from the rest of the building, I noticed something, something unnatural. Blood covered the ground. It made me sick. I looked around the narrow hallway to find that all of the other patients were missing from the surrounding cells.
I lay back down to try and figure out exactly what is going on. The screams that echoed through the hallway have stopped. But soon after I overheard a yell of anger. "Damn it not again!" A man yells and something metal bangs the ground.
I sit up, pull the sheet off of my bed and tie it around my weak body. I walk over to the barred gate inclosing me in my cell and gently push it forward. It opened. Why was that so easy to open? I step outside and almost slip. Something warm and slippery now covers my feet. I look down to see my pale feet covered in gooey blood. I turn back to my cell and vomit everything that's left in my stomach, which there wasn't every much of.
A stinging pain is felt in the area of the inch deep cut along my stomach. I wipe my mouth and continue forward. I cringe whenever I take a step into the red liquid on the floor. I move toward the man that was yelling earlier. The closer I get, the thicker and deeper the blood becomes. It smells of iron and dead fish, probably the dead bodies of my fellow patients.
     I finally reach the door when I hear, "Shannon, could you please bring me patient 87w?" The man says. I can hear him cleaning off something with a wet rag. "Yes Dr. Marlo." Says a woman who I assume is 'Shannon'. I could barely make out what they were saying so I leaned forward.
     As I lean forward, I slip on the blood beneath me, and land right in the door way. I'm now covered from head to toe in blood. I look up and see Dr. Marlo. He smiles the creepiest smile I have ever seen and leans over to Shannon, "Forget what I said earlier. She came to us."