Chapter 1

5 years ago

My mother's perfume of vanilla bean, and lavender is what wakes me up. As I sit up in bed, I hear the creaking of footsteps in the hallway. A shadow then appears under my door. The shadow pauses, for a moment, then continues down the hallway. I get up from bed, and hesitantly open my door. Moonlight streams through the uncovered windows in the corridor. As I scan the hallway of any signs of the intruder, I see a flicker of movement out of the corner of my eye.
I turn my head in the direction of the movement. The lights in my parents room shine under the door. Out of my curiosity, I approach my parents door. The scent of my mother's perfume is getting stronger the closer it get. Is mom back already? She wasn't expected back in about another week. Mom was visiting her sister, my aunt Celine at her house in California. I guess she came home early, and that she was the owner of the footsteps I heard in the hallway.
"What are you doing back so early Samantha? Is everything all right?", my father asks my mother. "Yes, everything is all right. I just missed you and the kids", replies mom. "So", mother abruptly stops speaking before she says another word. "Whose lingerie are these?", my mom asks with a tremor in her voice.
When father stays silent, mother seems to go on a rampage. "Ray, did you not hear me! Whose are these!", she yells. "Am I not good enough for you? Am I not young and youthful as I once was?", mother shreaks. Then I hear her sobbing.
During this whole time, Dad stays silent. I can just imagine the look in his eyes.
--------------------------------------
I've known about the affair since it started. One night 2 years ago, I walked into my parents bedroom, and I saw another woman putting her makeup on in front of my mother's vanity. When I opened the door, I instantly regretted it.
---------------------------------
Now that mom knows, I'm sure everything's going to change. Let the lies and deception begin.