Chapter Six

“What are you doing here?” I managed to croak out.

He started to play a few strings on his guitar, and I knew right away what he was playing.

“You got tired of waiting, wondering if I was ever coming around. Your faith in me was fading, when I meet you on the outskirts of town. And you said,” Niall began to sing. I wasn’t sure where he was going with this. The raindrops landed on me getting me wet. “’Romeo save me I’ve been feeling so alone I keep waiting for you but you never come is this in my head. I don’t know what to think.’ I knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said “Marry me Juliet you never have to be alone. I love you and that’s all I really know. I talked to your dad go pick out a white dress. It’s a love story, baby just say yes.” He sang and by know he was a foot away from me. We were both pretty soaked, but I didn’t care.

“I- You shouldn’t be here, I-“ I started to say but Niall cut me off.

“Summer I’m sorry. I just-“ He pulled something out of his pocket, which looked like a little jewelry box. And he got down on one knee. I didn’t know what to think, was he asking for me to marry him. “It’s not a wedding ring, at least not yet,” he said opening it, there was a silver infinity ring that said ‘I promise’ on it. “It’s just a promise ring, but my promise is that I won’t leave you alone ever again. My promise is that one day I will propose. Summer please forgive me. I love you Summer.” He said, and I started to cry.

“Yes, Niall.” I managed to say, he got back up and I hugged him, and was just sobbing.

“I love you Summer.” He said, and we stood there for a few minutes in the rain. Him trying to calm me and myself crying.

“You’re shivering Summer let’s get in my car.” He said directing me to his car. I got in the passenger’s seat and he started the car.

“Niall, what does this mean? What’s going to happen from here on out?” I asked after a few minutes.

“How about we go on a date. We can start from there, tomorrow night I can pick you up at 6.” He said

“I’d like that, but we need to talk soon, maybe not right away, but soon.” He nodded, “Well I guess I’m not going to California.” I said with a small giggle trying to lighten things up. He smiled at me, and looked at my eyes.

“I’m sorry Summer. I didn’t know. But I thought you didn’t like me either. After that night in the rain, it wasn’t because I didn’t love you. I did I loved you so much, but I thought- I just didn’t want to ruin our friendship. After that I saw you forget about it, and I felt like you no longer loved me. So I gave up. That’s something I regret I wish I hadn’t given up so easily. Then I got your letter and I panicked, because this time I was actually losing you. This time I would make sure I didn’t give up so easily. Summer I still love you.” He said

The rest was a blur, but that was all I needed to hear. He still loved me that was enough to make me stay for twenty more years. That was enough to make me fall for him one more time.