She Didn't Even Know

Ellen Page as Amy Brookes

Joshua Brand as Zach Anderson

Annasophia Robb as Claire Lindon

____________________________________________________________________

I pulled the books from my desk and quickly stuffed them in my backpack. I was always a target for bullying, so I didn't want to stay too long in the teacher-less English classroom. As I packed my books, I dropped one on the floor. I bent down to get it and my glasses fell off my face. Great. Note to self: get glasses readjusted. I picked up the book but it was tough without my glasses. I was almost legally blind without them, so I had to feel around like Velma from Scooby Doo. I found the book and picked it up, then was reaching for my glasses when someone stepped on my hand. I yelped in pain.

"Aww does that hurt?" I heard a cold voice ask.

"Yes," I said. Her foot was still on my hand.

"You should watch were you put your hands, Lamey," Patricia Brookes said. Yes, you read right. Brookes. My own step sister was the one crushing my hand. I heard her friends laugh. I bet they were enjoying this. Lamey was her nickname for me and I had no idea what I had done to her to make her hate me so much. She lifted her foot and I held my hand to my chest. It hurt like hell. I continued to search for my glasses when I heard a crunch.

"Oops," one of her friends said unapologetically. I reached to where I had heard the crush and felt broken glass. Great. Just great. I heard them walk away laughing. A tear rolled down my cheek. How could my mom fall in love with that girl's dad? Patricia was obviously the spawn of Satan which made her dad... well you get the picture.

I finished packing, blindly, when I heard an angel say "Oh my gosh Amy! Are you okay?"

It was my best friend Claire. She had gorgeous blue eyes, and beautiful long blonde hair. She could easily be part of the popular girl's clique, but she had her own style. She refused to give into the stereotype that since she was blonde and pretty, she also dressed like a Barbie and hung out with a bunch of airheads. No, she was her own person, and I loved that about her. Today she had on ripped blue jeans, uggs, and a purple shirt with a cat on it, big hoop earrings that I know she herself had decked out with beads and thread, and her favorite black beanie. She rushed to my side and helped me up.

"Yeah, but my hand hurts pretty badly," I said. She touched it and I winced.

"It looks pretty bruised... Let's go to the nurse's office," She helped me over to the nurse's office.

*************

"Yeah it looks pretty bruised and maybe even sprained... But not broken," the nurse said. She was a middle aged woman with chocolate brown eyes and short brunette hair who we knew a little too well. Claire had to take me to the nurse at least once a week, generally on gym days when I'm not lucky enough to be sitting on the bench. Mrs. Wells; perfect name for a nurse right? She wrapped my hand up and said,

"You should go home and rest"

"Okay thank you Mrs. Wells," I said, and we left. "Take me to the bathroom," I said. We went to the bathroom. "I have a small bag in the front pocket of my backpack can you get it out for me Claire bear?"

She smiled "Sure, what's in it?"

"My contacts," I said.

She gave me the bag and I took out the small case that had my contacts. I hated putting them in my eyes, but desperate times called for desperate measures. I blinked a few times and then I could finally see.