Misery

"Uncle Shawn, are you okay?" Riley asked eagerly, noticing the gloomy Shawn Hunter lying helplessly on the couch.
"Oh ummm, I'm fine." Shawn lied. The truth was, Shawn was miserable. He had spent the last two hours on the Matthews' coach, staring into space and re-evaluating his life. After staying with Cory and Topanga, Shawn had realized that he needed a goal in life, something to look forward to. He'd graduated high school, gone to college, found a job, now what? All his friends, were happily married with children and Shawn... He didn't even have a girlfriend. Well, technically he did. But Shawn knew Katy and him weren't going to last. He wanted to find "the one." Despite all his failed attempts at love, he still believed in it.
Shawn dozed off and imagined how perfect it would be to have one big happy family. He pictured that he would be reading "Good night moon" to his youngest son while his high schooler would be blasting jay-Z. And in the kitchen was his beautiful wife, his dear...Angela? Then it hit him. At that moment Shawn realized that she was the one. The one whom he never stopped loving. The one whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.
"You're not fine." Riley protested, snapping Shawn back into reality. "You've been lying here looking all sad ever since you got home from your date with Katy."
Shawn sighed. He realized he had to tell someone how he was feeling. "The truth is kid, it's not going to work out. She's nice and all, but..."
"Not Angela." Riley finished his sentence. She'd heard about the stories, from her father, about how Angela and Shawn used to be THE perfect couple. She'd known Shawn was still in love with her, even after Angela dumped him. "Uncle Shawn, I'm sorry. But you have to move on."
"I want to..but I can't stop thinking about her. It's like she's engraved in my mind."
"You guys were close?"
"Almost like Cory and Topanga." Shawn smiled. Of course Shawn and Angela's relationship wasn't perfect, the fought occasionally but they also loved each other deeply.
"But she's married" RILEY frowned.
Shawn realized what he had just confessed. "I know Riley listen, you cannot tell anyone what I just told you. Understand? If Maya finds out...ugh". Shawn groaned. He'd felt so bad for Riley's underprivileged best friend who's father was never around. Maya was hoping that Shawn could be that "father" in her family, but he didn't feel the same way. Sure he loved Maya like a daughter and Katy wasn't bad either. He just couldn't imagine spending the rest of his life with someone he did not love.
"But Maya's counting on you. You just can't do that to her. You're the only man whom she has ever trusted."
"I know Riley and gosh..." Shawn rubbed his forehead. "I don't know what to do...I just don't."