Pinky Promise

Waves. Isn't it lovely? Waves moving back and forth, crashing so hard against the rocks that the water splashed on our faces, and eventually flooding the shore, erasing our footprints in the sand.

Suddenly, the wind started whipping through the nearby sun beds and howling all around us. It was blowing a gale! And then again, the waves crashing hard against the rocks and into our jet ski, now pretty unstable.

I softly slip my arms around her waist to keep her from falling because, at this point, maintaining the balance became quite an impossible task.

Her blue orbs, gloriously intense, flickered to meet mine. In the few brief seconds that our gazes met, she seemed to find what she was looking for. And then she pressed her lips gently to mine. I just rested my forehead on hers and stared into her eyes.

Those eyes could make me melt anytime of the day. The flashes of cameras immediately went off the moment our lips touched, as she lets go off me. "Stupid paparazzi" She suddenly says, her voice stern.

"Shut up. Barney's on"

I rub my eyes and look around baffled, to find my lazy ass older brother absorbed in the cartoons. Pathetic… Oh, I'm sorry! Let me introduce myself. I'm Nick  and I really couldn't believe it. I've been having the same dream for the last few nights.

Four nights dreaming about when Mikki and I reconnected. That glorious day when I visited her on the beach, we talked…

Then, one thing led to another and we ended up kissing on the jet ski. Dreaming about something that already happened. Weird, right? That could only mean a thing and I just couldn't believe it. After seven years, I'm so not over her.

That hideous 31st of December. I still remember how it all changed. A chain of events made that night the bane of my existence. It was pouring with rain. We had just finished performing and were just heading back to our bus, as we got into another fight.

Yeah, another one. Since the previous week, things were going downhill between us. I swear there's nothing I regret more than having left her heart out in the rain. That night, I screwed up. Big time. And trust me, if I could take it back, I would… in a heartbeat.

"Mikki, why did you kiss me onstage? I told you I wanted to keep it personal…at least for some time" I said, slightly raising my voice. Mikki shook her head after tears started to well up in her eyes.

"You're being selfish" She said in an icy tone and walked away. I glanced at her blankly.

Lightning was heard in the distance, probably the start of an upcoming storm, but I quickly ignore it and reply

"I'm not. You're the one being selfish here. You just want the whole world to know, even though I asked you not to"

I emphasized that whole sentence. The thunder and lightning was becoming more and more frequent, which in turn was scaring me more and more.

"That's it. I can't take this anymore"

The coldness in her voice was making me shiver. I could see how hurt she was by my words.

"We've been fighting over stupid stuff for a whole week"

She yelled frantically, tears streaming down her face and mixing with the rain droplets, now soaking us.

"Mikki, wait" It's killing me inside as I watch her leave.

"It's too late. WE'RE OVER, NICK! OVER! "