Nice to Meet You

This will most likely be just a couple pages, but I got the request, and I'm having the worst writer's block on Crashing. I'm sorry guys :( But Benedict is here to save the day! He will be cutting faces with those cheekbones, just you wait ;P

"We're in a foreign country! Officially! Amelia, we just landed in a completely different country than the one we live in!"

I giggled at Sarah next to me, smirking as I replied, "Yes, we have, in fact, landed in the UK. We are in a foreign country. With three of our teachers and half of our class. So, feel free to freak out away from the group, or you'll injure somebody."

She shoved me playfully, and I laughed. The dark sky outside was glittered with stars, and the city surrounding us was bright and alive, despite the late hour. The clouds I was expecting were somewhere off in the distance, waiting silently to collect enough moisture to provide the normal onslaught I'd seen in the many British shows I'd seen.

Before you continue, I will say that BBC is my life. But, because my parents seem to think that cable is melting my brain, I no longer have the opportunity to watch it in my own home. So I figured taking a trip there myself was a pretty acceptable substitution.

In all seriousness, the class trip just so happened to be going to the UK this year, and my parents figured that was the easiest country to visit without being fluent in a language. Other than profanity, of course. So they bought the tickets and everything, and I dragged Sarah along beside me. Before we knew it, we were boarding a plane with a couple of class clowns, study buddies, and rich cheerleaders and flying across the pond to a grand new kingdom.

The plane rolled to a stop, and I started to feel anxious. As soon as I stepped foot out of the plane, I would officially be walking on British grounds. It may be the airport, but it still counted. There would be accents everywhere, Union Jacks stamped on tees and bags (see what I did there), and I would be submerged completely into a completely different culture. With incredibly attractive actors and tea and rain.

I took a deep breath and stood, grabbing my carry on from beneath my feet as I did. I glanced over at Sarah, and she bit her lip with excitement at me. I could feel the number of butterflies growing quickly in my stomach, and I fought to suppress them and keep them in my esophagus. I gripped the handle of my bag tightly, letting my nervousness sweat onto the fabric squeezed in my grasp. The line in front of me inched towards the door, and I concentrated on breathing. I would not freak out. This was a completely normal thing, landing in the country of my dreams and not acting like it. I could do this.

I widened my eyes as I got to the door. I stared at the floor, the small gap separating me from the international plane and the rest of the world. I couldn't move, or blink. It was right there. I could see some wet concrete beneath the plane..."Have a nice stay, miss." I broke contact with the ground to glance at the flight attendant beside me, and I nodded quickly before returning my gaze to the floor. I had to just step over that line and I'd be there. My entire life seemed to have led up to this, and I was finally doing it.

I closed a mouth I had no idea was open when Sarah shoved me forward from behind, and I took a couple stumbling steps over the gap, feeling my heart thud and skip a beat as I did. I turned to her, grinning. "We're here! I feel so...American! But we're here! It's already amazing!"

"Not yet; we haven't seen any of the boys yet." She grinned at me before rushing past me and skipping towards the gate. I followed quickly, ready to sink into the culture of the British.

"The beds are so soft! I slept for so long!"