knights of the badge and gun

"the mystery in human existence lies not only in staying alive but in finding something to live for"

''good morning new York, the high today is 76 with clear skies and"  I woke up to the sound of the newscasters voice on the radio and fumbled around until i managed to cut off the radio. i sat up on the bed and found my watch on the cluttered bedside table, 5:00. i didn't have to be at work for another hour.  i made my way to the kitchen which had last nights Chinese take-out and a half finished scotch on the table in the middle of the room. looking around and discovering that there wasn't much in the way of food i figured i would just pick something up on the way to work. i went to the closet and pulled out my government issue .38 special and my id from the top shelf "FBI, detective Charlie Richards".

after getting dressed i headed out the door of my 5th floor apartment in downtown Manhattan and began down the metal stairs. once out on the sidewalk i took a moment to dig through my pocket and find my keys. one thing i was quite fond of was my car, a beautiful black 1970 Mercedes benz 280SEL. the engine sang and purred as i pulled of onto the busy street on my way to the Wilson building about 10 miles away. i pulled into a shitty gas station and went inside, the bell on the door chimed and the clerk said "how can i help you, sir?" i walked up to the dirty counter and asked for a black coffee.

i could smell the presumably week old coffee from across the store and took a moment to admire the smell as the clerk, this tall middle aged white guy came out with my coffee. "that'll be $69 cents".  sitting the cup down on the dimly lit counter to fish out a dollar i said thank you to the man then gave him the cash, "keep the change", and with that walked out the door with my coffee. i stopped about halfway from my car to observe a woman from my apartment building walk by on the street. i gave a polite wave and she nodded. about 4 minutes later i ease my big sedan right up by the sidewalk in frount of the Wilson building, which in faded white letters above the glass doors said "FEDERAL BERAU OF INVESTAGATION"  

i get out of my car and I'm met with a refreshing breeze, i grab my coffee and close the door. as i walk in the old brick building I'm greeted by Caroline, the receptionist. "morning detective"  i walk up to the big desk with the FBI seal on the wall behind it. "good morning Caroline". The way this old building is laid out there are two elevators, one on each side of the receptionists desk. the bottom floor is mostly a lobby with a supply closet and the stairwell, photos of Regan and other former presidents line the walls.

i walk up to the elevator and hit the button, my office is on the 3rd floor. the elevator door opens and i step in and press the 3rd button, the doors stammer shut and the old lift goes up. once on my floor i walk up and open my door "det. Richards" is written in big bold letters on the tinted window. i sit my coffee on my oak desk and cut the light on. there is a folder on my desk labeled "audi".