One

Even though it was faint, her eyes did glow in the dark.

"Dani, your eyes DO glow!" I shouted, my young five-year-old voice calling out to my best friend Danielle.

But Danielle didn't give a response. She sat there, tucked in the corner like a cat. "Dan?" I giggled and began to crawl over to her. Her breathing was shallow and raspy, but I thought she was just trying to scare me again.

That's what friends are for, right?

I approached my best friend and gently, with my tiny finger, poked her shoulder. She flinched and I crawled back, thinking that she might chase me again. And then came the most memorable part...

Danielle's eyes stopped glowing. I was left in the dark, in my pink wool socks, white sweater and leggings. I sat criss cross. We were both sitting in silence, and darkness, in my bedroom. A small snap noise came from underneath my bed. Since I wasn't yet introduced to the idea of monsters and things that lurked in the dark, I leaned next to my bed. "Hello?" I giggled a bit more, smiling goofily.

"Celeste, it's me," a familiar voice whispered. It was hard to understand, but I could make out her voice.

"Danielle! Wait... How'd you get from the corner to under my bed so fast...?" I asked curiously. By this point, I was slightly confused and maybe a tiny bit scared.

"Celeste," she paused a moment. Even quieter, she whispered, "That wasn't me."