Lost in A Sea of Thoughts

Hours passed and there was still no sign of my mother. It all seemed like a dream. I wished I could turn back the clock.

Faintly, in the distance, I heard sirens. As the sirens drew closer to my house, I knew something was wrong. I scrambled out of bed and peeked out my window. People ran frantically, weaving in and out of debris. I hustled from my room to find my mother.

Mom was nowhere to be found. I checked her room one more time and found a note. It read, "Where I am going, I will be safe. You will not. I love you." I read it over. The words rushed through my head. What did it mean? Instinctively, I gathered my stuff and ran for my life.

I scurried down the stairs and let out a slight yelp. Tiny glass shards were scattered all over my ankle. I bit my lip and continued running. As I ran, my home became fainter and fainter in the distance. I slowed down when I could no longer hear the bomb sirens.

I inhaled a cold breath and watched my breath float into the air as I exhaled. A tornado of shock ran through my head. Where was my mother? Was she with the Nazis? Had they taken her captive? I didn't even think Jews lived in my neighborhood. I sat down and began to wiggle the glass shards out of my leg. Blood poured out and dripped down onto my white, lace-trimmed socks. I tore a piece of my silk pajama sleeve and tied it around my ankle to act as a bandage.