One-Shot

©DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN BLUE EXORCIST! IT IS OWNED BY KAZUE KATO!

Break Down

ONE-SHOT

Rin knew what it felt like to be betrayed and he was used to it by now, he just wasn't used to it hurting this much—why did it have to hurt so much?

Ever since his flames had been unleashed, his life just continued to spiral downwards. First the old man, then Yukio, and now his friends? Just how much was he going to be stripped of? His life no longer seemed to be his own and he felt like a piece just being tossed about in an elaborate scheme; in a huge, complicated game.

Like chess kind of.

He was just a piece continuously being used and moved and played with, screwing him over when he had thought he had found solace.

Damn it.

Just damn it all.

Okumura Rin laid in his bed, with his arms folded behind his head, staring up blankly at the ceiling of his dorm room feeling low. These thoughts that traveled through his mind seemed to be coming around more and more often and it was starting to become a bit harder to stay optimistic. How could he? Every attempt he tried to salvage his relationship with his friends was snuffed the hell out and his relationship with his brother seemed to continue to grow distant, a large gap between them that was quickly expanding.

Things were starting to look dimmer and dimmer.

His training with Shura to control his flames seem to be a complete bust. But he had to learn to control the flames! He absolutely had to! Because perhaps if he did then maybe the others would befriend him again...

Rin blinked in surprise at the doubt in his thoughts; since when had that started? Wasn't it; he will learn to control his flame so that the others would befriend him again? When had that changed to 'if' and 'maybe'?

A weary sigh left the boy as he let his eyes fall closed, his exhaustion getting the better of him. Though he didn't dare fall asleep because for the last couple of weeks, nightmares have been coming at random; leaving him waking up in a panicked frenzy. Fear and insecurity suffocating him in the aftereffects. Some dreams were just manifestations of his worrying and stress induced, other dreams however, weren't even real dreams. Just recurring memories from the camping trip meshed up and torturing him in his sleep until he woke up.

A shiver shot up his spine as some of the memories flashed across his mind, chest tightening as the voices echoed in his head,

"Why the hell..."

He grit his teeth as he heard Ryuji's voice start in his head; surprisingly, his reaction had hit Rin the hardest. Crushing the younger teen when he saw the frightened, upset look on his wounded face.

"...is Satan's kid at the academy!?"

The black haired boy's jaw began to ache but the pressure in his mouth was relentless as he lifted his arms before crossing them over his closed eyes, feeling his nails dig into the tender skin of his biceps as Shiemi's voice sounded.

"Why...why are you laughing..."

Oh how dumb a move that was on his part. He didn't mean to laugh but he didn't know what else to do! He was so nervous, so scared—he wasn't thinking and began spouting off things from the top of his head.

"...as if there's nothing strange about it!?"

Strange.

She used the term 'strange' to describe everything that was happening at the time. It hurt, for her to say that and to see the tears rolling down her cheeks. He saw many things when he looked into her green irises; hurt, betrayal, confusion, fear. But why had she been crying? Was she crying because she was scared of him? Or...