In the Quiet

Yamaguchi had always been a good listener. He wasn't so great about the advice part but he listened. His mother used use to always say, "You have the ears of a fox."

 He wasn't superhuman like Hinata, he was just used to being quiet and listening. His hearing just became better. He preferred the quiet, like how in games the whistle before the serve always startled him until he realized that he could take his time and just feel the quiet. In the quiet he felt most at ease. That's why he and Tsukki did well together, they didn't need to talk. Tsukki knew that Yamaguchi had great hearing and would often ask him what he heard about the other team's players when they practiced in the court before the game. Yama was able to hear before the game even started if a player had a weak knee or they had something up their sleeve. Tsukki could then be ready and put his block to use or let the others know. Yamaguchi was afraid that he would be stepping on his senpai's toes if he acted all high and mighty so he left it up to Tsukki to tell them. They had been doing this since the practice match against Blue Castle.

 Volleyball wasn't the only time that he overheard things. Yamaguchi knew a lot more about each player. He knew that Daichi's father had been drinking again. Suga's parents were talking about getting a dog. Tanaka was interrogating Ennoshita about his rumored girlfriend who he swears is just a rumor. Nishinoya and Asashi had late night study sessions nearly every night cause Noya was at risk of failing two classes. Coach Ukai was considering giving up smoking because he wanted to be a better example. Hinata and Kageyama had confessed to each other and were at the early stages of dating even if they didn't know it.

 Yamaguchi didn't ever tell anyone about others. He kept it to himself. He wasn't the type to blackmail. He mostly just thought about how lucky he was to not be dealing with the hardships many of his teammates faced. He didn't care that much about Kageyama and Hinata dating. If they were happy then that was good. They each had tough lives. Thinking about it now, they had never talked about it with each other but with others such as Sugawara. Kageyama barely ever talked about himself but when he did open up, Yamaguchi could tell that Kageyama was actually good guy. Hinata was incredibly kind and hardworking. He wasn't stupid as people thought, he just throws himself into everything so quickly.

 Yamaguchi was walking to after school practice and was near the gym. He began to think about Kageyama and Hinata. Yamaguchi didn't care if they were gay or straight. Why should it matter? The only problem he had with it was that it caused him to think about his own romantic interest. He had thought girls were cute but dating them seemed daunting. Was he gay? He didn't like guys except for his team. Maybe ace? He liked Tsukki most. Yamaguchi stopped. He let the words roll around in his head. I like Tsukki most. That shouldn't of been a thought to stop him. It was rational. Tsukki had been his best friend since middle school, his only friend.

 Tsukkishima had been walking next to Yamaguchi and took two steps before he stopped to look back at Yama. Yamaguchi was weird so he wasn't surprised that much at this behavior. He patiently waited for him to come out of his focused daze.

 Yamaguchi heard the crunch of gravel cease and realized that Tsukki had stopped. It was so natural to always be with him that he had almost forgotten that they were walking to practice together like they did every day. They generally spent the short walk in silence because the gym would be filled with yelling from Hinata, Noya, and Tanaka.

 Yamaguchi looked up at Tsukki's bored gaze. "S-sorry," Yama said and started walking again. "Hm," was Tsukki's reply and they both walked into the gym.

 Yamaguchi picked up more info at practice. Apparently Kageyama had become closer with Sayuri and that is his first friend outside of volleyball and first female friend. Suga's family ended up getting a cat. Noya's grades have gone up and he quietly complained to Akashi about some kind of bruise on his chest. Daichi had confronted his father. Tanaka apparently saw a lot of busty women over the weekend when he went to visit his sister while she had friends over. (Everyone knew this because he was practically floating and told everyone.)