Prologue

"Mmmyess. It's finally ready." For years he'd been held up in this small research facility, hidden by the dense growth of the remote jungle that covered this small, hostile South American country. Compared to the rest of the world, it was just a speck. A speck, nevertheless, that was going to become infamous, very infamous indeed, and oh so interesting.

He was very excited. At last, his work was complete! He was going to make all of those buffoons that had mocked and scorned him pay. Those who thought him a fool, called him a crackpot, were going to be miserable. For he had created the ultimate weapon. And this would happen soon, very soon. But for now, he would bide his time as he had for the last fifteen years. There was a plan, after all, a glorious plan. Now all he had to do was get his employers approval and everything would begin.

***

Two government workers and their secratery walked down a hall in the research lab. The lighting was dim and the air was filled with the hum of machines. It was cold, despite it being over a hundred degrees outside. They'd had to go through several security checkpoints, and though cameras we're absolutely prohibited, they were allowed to keep their weapons. They were also forced to go through multiple sanitation stations. It was obvious that whatever this lab contained was priceless.

They were here because word had been sent that the experiments were a success. They didn't exactly know what the experiments were; they weren't far enough up the totem pole to know that secret yet. But they were about to find out.

A door at the end of the hallway slid open to reveal a man. He had wispy, gray hair that stood out all over his head. His black, beady eyes were cold, cruel, and calculating, evil even. He was tall and deathly thin. Though he was standing perfectly straight, it looked forced, as if he had a natural hunch. His skin was sickly pale - pale being an understatement. It glowed milky white, like the sun's rays hadn't touched him in years, which was probably true.

"Greetings, I am Professor Schaumburg. Do come in." He spoke with a slight German accent. Schaumburg led them into a small room full of expensive-looking equipment and computers, stopping behind another closed door.

"Gentlemen, what you see beyond this point is top secret information. May I remind you that this is very important to your superiors, so I stress that you touch nothing." Schaumburg opened the door and revealed... babies. A dozen to be exact.
For a moment, the three stood there in shock. The first worker took out his gun, "Babies? Are you mad, man? Do you know how many millions we've spent on this? If this is some kind of sick joke, it's not funny," he growled.

"Shh," Schaumburg whispered, "you'll wake them." He glared at the worker and a spasm ran the length of his body. "If you would kindly put that toy away, I will explain how these are no ordinary babies." The gun remained out. "Very well, then," he spat, "I have imbedded in them microchips which are connected to my supercomputer. I give them any order and they follow without fail, regardless of their own wishes. I have also enhanced every physical and mental capabily possible. Gentlemen, you see before you the world's first bionic humans." He grinned wickedly and there was a tic in his left eye. By now it was clear that he was unstable and mentally ill.

It took half a second for the other worker to put a bullet through Schaumburg's genius, if psychopathic, brain. The second worker was not as outwardly aggressive as his companion, but he was much more impatient. "Go check the data files on the computer," he snapped at the secratery. He looked back at the babies. They were still asleep. Neither the sound of the gun discharging, nor the echo of it had woken them. He turned to the secratery, who was typing away. "Well, he wasn't lying. Everything checks out here."

"Okay, but how do babies fit in the plan?"
She turned in her seat to face him,

"You two might want to come see this for yourselves."