Part One

The sun was still a young orange orb in the sky when the wail rang out. It was a long mournful one, the type that cut through the soul and curdled the blood.
My eyes jerked open as I was rudely awakened from a vague dream that was already fading. I fumbled for my phone as I squinted at the screen. It was 6:25 am; and I was going to be late for work if I didn't get up now.
   The cries were coming from the flat after the next. I shook my head as I got up to begin my morning rituals of getting ready for work. Baba Ibidun was at it again. Everyone in the building was quite used to hearing shouts of terror and sounds of objects breaking from the Apena's flat... often accompanied by the cries of their little ones as the man beat his wife.
I shuddered as I brushed my teeth. I couldn't imagine the horror of being married to a man; of spending the rest of my life, with a man who practiced boxing on my face. Iya Ibidun or as she was fondly called "iyawo"  was a kind, meek soul who minded her own business and took care of her family.
Everyday, she came out either with a black eye or bruises on her skin; cringing and offering feeble explanations to those who asked.
"I walked into a pole... I fell down the stairs."
I shook my head again as I stepped into the shower. When I came out, I heard noise out in the hallway and wondered what it was. Everyone in the building knew what was going on with the Apena's but we all minded our business since the day the man threatened to beat Mrs Olushola who lived next door when she tried to talk to him about beating his wife. We all knew he meant it too. The man had a mean streak a mile wide.

I got dressed quickly, unlocked the door and stepped out of my apartment. The first thing I saw was the blood.