Prologue

One warm summer morning in the small village of Crestwood, Charlie Smatchit and his buddy Roland Freeman are out fishing.
As they stand on the handmade dock Roland makes the catch of the morning.

"Did you see that broski?" Roland exclaims. " That bad boy practically jumped in my lap." Charlie takes out his measuring stick and measures the fish (a huge scaled catfish with whiskers longer than his fingers) all the way to the 14inch line.

"You gone be eating good tonight my man." Charlie says with an awed tone. "Wonder if any more this size in that there lake."

Suddenly they both hear a snarling and chomping sound behind them, as if there is a dog enjoying a well earned meal.

"You heard that?" Charlie says, a scared look on his face. Roland replies " yeah but I know that ain't scooter cause I tied him up 'fore I left the house. Imma go check it out."

Roland slowly walks off into the woods, fishing pole in hand with Charlie right behind. As they approach the sound, they can hear the crunching of huge teeth chomping down. Roland breaks through the undergrowth but signals for Charlie to stay back.
_ _ _

Suddenly Roland is yanked forward and screams out "aahhhhhhhhhhh". Charlie rushes through scared of what he might find only to find Roland laid out on the ground, eyes staring empty at the trees overhead.

"ROL ROL" he yells out frightened. Soon he hears a sound coming from Rolands throat and realizes it's laughter.

Frustrated he turns away.
" Man don't ever do that again, I coulda had a heart attack. What's the matter with you fool?!!!!!"

Roland gets up laughing " wow man you should've seen your face dude" copying Charlie's surprised and concerned face during the incident. "I'm never gonna forget that face." He says laughing all the way back to the lake.

" lets go we got plenty and plus it'll be getting hot soon." Charlie packs up everything into the tackle box and starts off. " wait up" Roland gathers up his things but Charlie is far ahead.
- - -
Charlie makes it to his old Chevy pickup and waits for Roland to come out of the brush. Concerned he begins to make his way back "Roland!!! Roland!!!" When he hears the snarling sound again. "I'm not falling for that again......." he rushes into the clearing to see some sort of huge creature with its huge snout dug into something. " oh my God". He backs away slowly and realizes that thing is chewing on his friend, Roland. Frightened he turns and steps on a twig which seems to echo through the woods.

The creature looks up and Charlie doesn't look back as he runs for his life.