We Were There in the Beginning

Here's an excerpt from the story. I don't know if this is even worth publishing, so before I continue on let me know what you guys think. Note that this is not the beginning of the book, just a small excerpt from the writing I have done so far. If you enjoy it, I will actually post the story. Thanks for reading!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I turned my head to look up at Michelangelo, his radiant rust coloured hair splayed out around his face in a messy, wavy, halo.

"So, today's your birthday?"

"Yeah," He responded lazily, tugging a blade of grass around his finger, "What of it?"

I felt my stomach churn low in my body, the sound of his voice rolling smoothly around in my ears. He sounded like the kind of boy who used to be in choir for a long time. The kind of voice where it used to so elegantly carry notes though the air like it was nothing. But after resting for years, it had returned to a soft, warm, ringing, the ghost of that once sweet voice still stinging the edges of each syllable that fell out of his mouth.

"Nothing." I replied "I just thought you would have done something special."

He shrugged his shoulders, and turned over on his side. Michelangelo gave me a small smile, and placed the blade of grass atop my hair.

"I am," He said in a quiet tone, "I'm sitting here with you."

As I heard what he said I couldn't help but blush a small bit. I wasn't that great, much less be even good enough to hang out with someone like Michelangelo.

"Oh hush it Michel, you sound gay."

"You're the one blushing, Demetrius."

"I told you to call me Dimitri, I sound old when you say Demetrius."

"Well how would you like it if you had the name of /the/ Michelangelo. Y'know, the fucking king of the renaissance. Hard to compete with a guy like that."

We both stared at each other for a good five seconds or so before bursting out in laughter. It's one of those things that most people wouldn't find funny, but for some reason when you're with your best friend it becomes the most hilarious thing you've ever heard. I gasped for air as I watched Michelangelo trying to get a hold of himself. I loved watching him laugh. He was so light. By light I mean he can take the weight off of somebody's soul. He's the kind of guy that just being around him makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Seeing him happy made me happy. And that was the best thing to know.