Running To You, Book 1 of the Running Series

Running To You

***

Book 1 The Running Series

by

DeLaine Roberts

Running to You

Copyright © 2013

All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America.

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission.

For information, contact DeLaineRoberts.com.

ISBN-13: 978-1484835333

ISBN-10: 1484835336

CHAPTER ONE

Three missed calls from Drew already, and it wasn’t even six am. Everything always had to be on his schedule, I swear! I would love to put him in the timeout chair for overzealous boss behavior. He’s got to have that stupid cell phone glued to his head.

I took a deep breath and tried to remind myself that it’s his job to coach me. He is my boss, after all. I appreciated the risk he took when he hired me since I didn’t have a background in medical sales and it was a big gamble to bring me on board with the company. Because I didn’t have any previous experience, Drew and the board are going to be pouncing on me during my first quarter. I didn’t bring anything with me to the table, other than my MBA with a focus in marketing from Northwestern—a feat I did while working nights as a barista to help with the costs—was a big plus.

Remembering back to our initial conversations about the position before and during the recruitment period, Drew often spoke of how there would be much to learn. Of course, he would always be there to guide and push me.

Now that I’d been on the job for a month, I discovered that his idea of “pushing me” made him equal parts jackass and saint. He could be a slave driver at times but I was quickly learning. I could really appreciate the advancing technology for the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, especially considering what I’ve witnessed.

Crap, his fourth call came in before I could even finish listening to his voice mails.

“Hey Drew, you’re at it early this morning,” I said, trying to stay perky. In the back of mind, I thought, “Oh, how I would love to remind him that he suffers from Time Zone Dyslexia.”

“Alexandra, I really am sorry about the early calls. I'm on my way to catch a flight stateside for the board meeting, but I wanted to remind you that the new sales compensation package not only impacts you financially, but will solidify your quota. As the company heads into the third quarter, all you need to do is sign up one more surgeon to meet your numbers. I was thinking about a local target for you and remembered your doctor in Dallas, Dr. Brooks. Are you making any headway with him?”

For some unknown reason, Drew had really been riding me about this particular surgeon, Dr. Grayson Brooks. No one from my company had been able to get in to see or speak with him about our new product line. Dr. Brooks refused to return any of my calls or emails, like it’s so hard to return an email? I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised, our CEO even flew down here and tried to meet with him without any luck.

“That’s interesting, I’ll be in Dr. Brooks' office today. Wish me luck!” Of course, I knew that I needed more than luck to get past Millie Watson, the devoted office administrator-slash-serious gatekeeper. She had sent me packing every single time, even the times I brought food. That was rare, especially when I brought delicacies from Celebrity Bakery. Each time, I left my business card and literature while shamelessly pleading with her to give the information to the doctor, but I wasn’t convinced that she ever did.